cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Limiting Access to Some Dropbox Folders on My Devices

Explorer | Level 3

I have some folders (containing primarily pictures and videos) that I don't necessarily want to have on each of my three devices that I have on Dropbox.  My reason for not wanting to download these folder (files) onto each device is that I am running out of memory on these devices and I don't really need to have easy access to these files on EACH of my devices.  (Having access on ONE device would be sufficient.)  So, I am looking for the procedure that would allow me to have the folders/files stored on the Dropbox cloud, but not have them on ALL of my devices.  Can I do this? 

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Limiting Access to Some Dropbox Folders on My Devices

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Dwayne G., you sure can! If you wish to avoid syncing your content on each device, then you can utilize our Selective Sync feature, which will preserve all your content safely stored on your account online. (Tip: You may also have a look at this resource here, where Jay explains matters in a bit more detail.)

Whenever you find some time, please have a look at my suggestions above & do let me know if that's what you had in mind initially in your next message, so as to further advise how you can go about the matter. Thanks in advance! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Dwayne G., you sure can! If you wish to avoid syncing your content on each device, then you can utilize our Selective Sync feature, which will preserve all your content safely stored on your account online. (Tip: You may also have a look at this resource here, where Jay explains matters in a bit more detail.)

Whenever you find some time, please have a look at my suggestions above & do let me know if that's what you had in mind initially in your next message, so as to further advise how you can go about the matter. Thanks in advance! 

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for this recommendation.  A follow-up question:  what is the best way to handle removing (already synced) files from a given device?  I don't want to remove the files all on my devices, but on a specific one only?  I assume that by doing the Selective Sync I can prevent further downloads on my defice, but what to do if I want to remove files that are already on the device from THAT device only?

Thanks.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Selective Sync is a per-device feature. Each comptuer can have different Selective Sync settings.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I've just installed Dropbox on my iphone with the hopes of being able to offload my pictures and free up some space. I have not been able to find a selective sync option. I'd like to be able to limit where files are put from this device. Is it possible to configure selective sync on an iphone?

Another question. If the camera images are moved to Dropbox, is that space freed up? Or is it still taken up on the device within the Dropbox folder?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @vseavello; thanks for joining our Community and posting your first question!

First off, can you clarify what you'd like to accomplish so I can better advise?

I'm only asking since selective sync is a feature that's offered via our desktop application, not the mobile app as our mobile application is a file viewer that allows you to preview the files, photos, and videos in your Dropbox folder directly on your mobile device and unlike the Dropbox computer application, it doesn't automatically store files locally on your device. 

As per your last inquiry, can you please clarify to what device you're referring to and how you'd be moving those files? 

In general, files that reside within your Dropbox folder do take up space as it's another folder of yours only with syncing capability. 

I hope this helps at some extent and I'll be waiting for your reply to shed some additional light. 

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Uploading Scanned pages

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello - We used to be able to scan pages from an I-phone and then uploade them directly to a file inmy profile that had been set up.  We can no longer upload it becasue the file selection where we want to send it no longer appears?  Not talking about uploading a "picture", talking about uploading scanned image. Thank you

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

The initial purpose is to reduce the space being use on my iphone by moving the camera photos to Dropbox. I'd like to still have access to those pictures once moved off the iphone. Dropbox seems like a good candidate to achieve this.

I have a Dropbox account with a with quite a number of other content. I've created a folder in dropbox where I will store the pictures when moved off the iphone. What I'd like to do is limit the content served from Dropbox to the iphone to just the photes I moved from the iphone. I don't need the rest of the Dropbox content on the iphone. This sounded to me like the purpose of the selective sync feature.

If there is another way to filter out all the other dropbox content, or specify that the iphone should just connect to the specified subdirectory of my Dropbox account, I would be happy with that. It doesn't have to be the selective sync feature, per se.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @vseavello; I appreciate it.

As aforementioned, unlike the Dropbox computer application, the Dropbox mobile app does not automatically store files locally on your device when you're uploading via a mobile device like your iPhone. This is because we want to be mindful of resource constraints mobile devices face such as device storage or bandwidth limitations. Given this, the contents of your Dropbox will not take up space on your mobile device. It also means that you cannot preview files without a WiFi or data connection. 

If you'd like offline access to a file, you can make it available offline by tapping the arrow to the right of the file and turning on the Available offline option. You can find any files you've made available offline by tapping on the menu button and selecting “Offline files”. These files are available offline and any changes you make while offline will sync back to Dropbox.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress! 

As per your concern @davidapps, I'd suggest opening up a new discussion as your query doesn't seem to be related to the OP here. 

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?