cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Link tracking after downloading to my dropbox

Link tracking after downloading to my dropbox

JamesFirst
Explorer | Level 4
I was sent a link to a Dropbox folder. Instead of downloading to my PC I clicked add to my Dropbox.... If I then create a share link from these files on my Dropbox will the original owner of the files be notified? Nothing malicious in this - more like a surprise that I don't want to spoil!
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
No
They wont be 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

JamesFirst
Explorer | Level 4
Does the same apply if the original account the files were sat on was a pro or business account?

Rich
Super User II

Drake
Dropboxer

Hey there James!

Mark and Rich are absolutely correct.

Once added to a shared folder,   either if you are in "Edit" or "View" permission mode , you will always be able to create a shared link. 

There's currently no way to see if a file has been viewed, or other usage statistics for files in Dropbox.

So if you go ahead and create a shared link to this folder there will be no way to see with whom you have shared it with, or in fact who they have shared it with after you.

One walkaround this is to create password protected links or set expiration dates (Pro and Business feature)

If there is any more information that i could provide, please dont hesitate to ask!

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! 🙂

Rich
Super User II

Drake wrote:

So if you go ahead and create a shared link to this folder there will be no way to see with whom you have shared it with, or in fact who they have shared it with after you.

One walkaround this is to create password protected links or set expiration dates (Pro and Business feature)

However, there's nothing preventing someone from sharing the link AND the password, and once again, you would have no way to see if it was passed on to someone else.

Drake
Dropboxer
Yeah absolutely! It wouldn't really help you track the shared links but its still a pretty nifty feature to have in case you don't want yours to be shared outside of a given time!

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! 🙂

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13
JamesFirst, If you "join" a shared-folder the original owner knows that you joined, but does not know if you have in turn shared links to those files. In fact, the links you create are from your account and are not the same as links sent from the original owner's account. So if you have a free account your bandwidth limits are lower and if exceeded will cause your links to be banned, not those of the original owner.
Need more support?