cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Link went to wrong e-mail address

Link went to wrong e-mail address

Cedar
New member | Level 2

I tried to send a link to a certain e-mail address, but misspelled it, so now the link has gone to the wrong e-mail address.  Yikes!  Is there any way to disable that link so that this other person cannot access these files?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

Cedar wrote:

If I remove or delete the link, what happens with the link to this same folder that I had sent to someone else, who is properly in possession of the link?  Will they still be able to access the folder?

Deleting the link will remove access for anyone that has the link.

It appears that there is only one link "number" asigned to each link.....?  Or is a different number generated each time I copy and paste the link?

Each time you copy a link that has already been generated, it is the same link. Anyone that has it can use it. The link does not change for each person.

If I delete this link, then generate another, will the link be the same as the last one?

No.

How do I ensure the person who is supposed to have this link still has access?

You would need to create a new link and re-send it to the correct people. When you create a new link it will be different from the original link you sent.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Kora
Dropboxer

Hi Cedar,

There are multipe ways you can disable your file or folder:

1. From the Links page

1. Sign in at dropbox.com.
2. Click Links.
3. Click the X next to the linked file or folder.

2. From the main page

1. Sign in at dropbox.com.
2. Under the Shared with column, click the link icon next to the linked file or folder.
3. Click Link settings.

• For links to individual files, click Delete link.
  • For links to folders, click Remove link.

3. From the preview page

1. Click the link to the file or folder.

2. Once you're previewing the file or folder, click the gear icon to open the settings menu.
3. Select Remove link.

And then you can go and recreate a new link! 🙂

Kora

Cedar
New member | Level 2

If I remove or delete the link, what happens with the link to this same folder that I had sent to someone else, who is properly in possession of the link?  Will they still be able to access the folder?  It appears that there is only one link "number" asigned to each link.....?  Or is a different number generated each time I copy and paste the link?   If I delete this link, then generate another, will the link be the same as the last one?  How do I ensure the person who is supposed to have this link still has access?

Rich
Super User II

Cedar wrote:

If I remove or delete the link, what happens with the link to this same folder that I had sent to someone else, who is properly in possession of the link?  Will they still be able to access the folder?

Deleting the link will remove access for anyone that has the link.

It appears that there is only one link "number" asigned to each link.....?  Or is a different number generated each time I copy and paste the link?

Each time you copy a link that has already been generated, it is the same link. Anyone that has it can use it. The link does not change for each person.

If I delete this link, then generate another, will the link be the same as the last one?

No.

How do I ensure the person who is supposed to have this link still has access?

You would need to create a new link and re-send it to the correct people. When you create a new link it will be different from the original link you sent.

View solution in original post

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?