cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking to files stored in another folder (still within same DB acct)

Linking to files stored in another folder (still within same DB acct)

LaniG
Helpful | Level 6

Hi 🙂

I have a question that is probably going to sound confusing, but the concept is there LOL

Our (very small) team all work remotely, and we are in a ship brokerage business (kind of like real estate but for barges and cargo ships). 

We use DB as our company storage and we all have access to all files across, probably, thousands of folders.

The problem that I have is trying NOT to duplicate documents, but still have a functional system that keeps key information ready-to-hand for all of us.

Example (and this is just one of the examples!)-

For compliance purposes, our paperwork needs to be exact, and so we make heavy use of templates. These templates need to be easily available, and relevant to the DB 'area' that we're working in at the time (Admin or Leads or Listings or Charter or Equipment etc etc etc). 

We keep a central repository for document templates, not only for QA, but also to make sure that we don't 'lose' or forget to update a template that is in an obscure folder/location.

The problem is that members of the team have been placing copies of the templates in the overarching folders (the ones listed above- Leads/Listings etc) because that is where they 'need' the docs to be. (i.e. COMPANY/SALES/BARGES)

So then, when I change or update a tempate, I replace the superceded version that is stored in the main 'Templates' folder, filed under the relevant department that it relates to (i.e. COMPANY/ADMIN/DOCUMENTS/TEMPLATES/SALES TEMPLATES) but because I have no control over the copies (and sometimes no knowledge of where they are) none of the copies get changed. This can result in some of the team using a contract template that is 6 months old.

Is there a way that I can create a kind of mirror- or link-file, within the relevant department folder, so that when someone clicks on the mirror-type file in 'Sales Contract Template', in COMPANY/SALES/BARGES, it actually gives them the original/up to date 'Sales Contract Template' file that is stored in COMPANY/ADMIN/DOCUMENTS/TEMPLATES/SALES TEMPLATES?

This would also help with our storage- sometimes we charter a vessel and we have to make a full copy of the Vessel Info Folder, "Vessel XYZ" (which can have up to 100+ photographs and 10 documents of 60+ pages each) into the Customers Charter Folder, "Charter Customer ABC". 

We cant just move the Vessel Info Folder (stored at COMPANY/LISTINGS/TUGS/"Vessel XYZ") because it is still an active vessel that needs to be promoted to generate new bookings, for when it comes off of charter in 6 months time. We can end up with 10 copies of one vessel folder, if it is a popular vessel.

Can we create a mirror- or link-file to the Vessel Info Folder, from the Customer's Charter Folder (stored at COMPANY/CHARTERS/"Charter Customer ABC")? So we don't have many multiple copies of the "Vessel XYZ" throughout our DB?

Thank you- I hope that made some sense? 

A

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Linking to files stored in another folder (still within same DB acct)

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey A! :sunglasses:

Currently, there isn’t such a way you can do this automatically. However, as an indirect workaround, you could create a file (for example, a Word doc) which contains shared links to all the locations that you want members to have access to and place it at the top of a folder's contents.

You can do this by naming it 000 (triple zero) as numbers apear first in alphabetical order. You can also limit it to team members only so as to not be previewable by external users if you'd like. 

I know this isn't the ideal solution you were looking for, but I do hope I helped to some extent. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey A! :sunglasses:

Currently, there isn’t such a way you can do this automatically. However, as an indirect workaround, you could create a file (for example, a Word doc) which contains shared links to all the locations that you want members to have access to and place it at the top of a folder's contents.

You can do this by naming it 000 (triple zero) as numbers apear first in alphabetical order. You can also limit it to team members only so as to not be previewable by external users if you'd like. 

I know this isn't the ideal solution you were looking for, but I do hope I helped to some extent. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

LaniG
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Lusil,

Thank you so very much for trying to help with this!

I really appreciate the time that you took to respond to me. I apologise that, due to some family health issues (all on the mend now!), I did not have time to properly acknowledge and appreciate your time in trying to help me find a work around (even if DB doesnt yet offer a 'fix').

Thank you again :rainbow:

Lusil
Dropboxer
No worries, @LaniG! If you have any other questions in the future, don’t hesitate to get back to us. :sunglasses:

Wishing you all the best and I hope you have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

NicoleE
New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil,

Thank you very much for providing this workaround, which is very useful for our needs as we have a very similar problem to the original poster. I wanted to ask in the 2 years since you posted this solution, has anything changed in the DB system that would allow mirrored, linked folders?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @NicoleE, thanks for joining us on this thread. 

The only other workaround that comes to mind is that you could make use of the website's shortcuts. 

In other words, you could make shortcuts using shared links to files, although it'll work mainly for navigating through the web.

You'll find more info in this article

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?