cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indesign links not working across Team

Links in shared files are broken and can't open linked files like Illustrator

Lfrank
Explorer | Level 3

I am a Dropbox Business user and I recently moved my files from my personal account over to the Business's Team Folder. Everything seemed to work fine, with one big exception, the internal links in my files are broken when the files are openned by teamates and resaved.

For example, I have an Ilustrator file that has multiple placed Photoshop and other objects in it. When my teamate opens this file (which exists in our Team Folder), she needs to replace/find all of the linked image/files before she can do any work. Then when she saves the file and I open it up, I must again replace all the images. 

This is happening for all files Adobe Creative Suite files - Dreamweaver, Indesign, etc.

There must be something going on with our file structures being different and therefore the links breaking, but I can't find any discrepencies as far as structure, they look identical on our computers. Could it have something to do with the way we moved over the files form our Personal Dropbox accounts?

Thanks in advance for any help you're able to provide!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Adobe Illustrator broken links on shared files

Rich
Super User II

This is happening because the full path to the linked file on your colleague's computer is different on your computer.

When an application like Illustrator, Office, etc., links to a file, it uses the full path to the file from the start of your drive. Even if the linked files are in the same folder as the drawing, they still use the full path. This will include (assuming Windows) the drive letter and usually a user's profile folder. If you log in to your computer with a different username, your profile folder is in a different location than that of your colleague's. Or, if you don't store your Dropbox folder in the same location (such as on a different drive), the path will also be different.

If my Dropbox folder is in it's default location (my Windows profile folder called Rich) then the path to a file in my Dropbox would look like this:

• C:\Users\Rich\Dropbox\ASharedFolder\SomeFile.jpg

On your computer, again with Dropbox in the default location, the path would be something like:

• C:\Users\Natalie\Dropbox\ASharedFolder\SomeFile.jpg

When I link to a file, the path used includes my profile folder Rich, which doesn't exist on your computer, so the linked object cannot be found when you open the Illustrator file. It doesn't matter that you're both using the same Dropbox account. What matters is where the files are located on your computer.

The best solution to this would be for both of you to move your Dropbox folder to a new location on your drives, making sure that the full path to it is the same for both of you. On a Windows computer this might be in the root of your C: drive (I can't comment on Mac). If you do that, then the full path to the same example file above would look like this for both of you, which would allow you to link to other files in your Dropbox.

• C:\Dropbox\ASharedFolder\SomeFile.jpg

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Re: links within shared files are broken

Rich
Super User II

Lfrank wrote:

There must be something going on with our file structures being different and therefore the links breaking

That's exactly it.

Links within files generally contain the full path to the file. For most users, that path will include their computer username. For instance, the default location for the Dropbox folder on a Windows computer is C:\Users\[username]\Dropbox. Any links you create will work just fine, but open those files on another computer and the links will still be pointing to your user folder.

The only way to prevent this is to ensure that everyone's Dropbox is stored in the same exact location on each computer; C:\Dropbox, for instance. Any part of the part of the path that is unique to one computer will cause problems when working with files containing links to other files.

Adobe Illustrator broken links on shared files

NatalieL
New member | Level 2

Hello!

I am having a problem with my Dropbox Business account in that if a colleague creates an Adobe Illustrator file containing links to files within our shared Dropbox, these links are broken if I open the file from my computer, even though my colleague and I use the same Dropbox Business login details but from different computers.

I can't find the root of the problem and it is very frustrating having to relink files all the time so any help in solving this problem is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Natalie

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @NatalieL

Thanks for getting in touch here on this issue, let's look into this together! 

Could you clarify in what way the links are "broken"? Are you previewing them through the website? Are the files corrupted after the download? Are you receiving any error messages? 

Provided that the files are in a shared link, have you tried loading the link on an incognito window? 

Once you sent me these details, I'd be glad to analyze that more with you! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Rich
Super User II

This is happening because the full path to the linked file on your colleague's computer is different on your computer.

When an application like Illustrator, Office, etc., links to a file, it uses the full path to the file from the start of your drive. Even if the linked files are in the same folder as the drawing, they still use the full path. This will include (assuming Windows) the drive letter and usually a user's profile folder. If you log in to your computer with a different username, your profile folder is in a different location than that of your colleague's. Or, if you don't store your Dropbox folder in the same location (such as on a different drive), the path will also be different.

If my Dropbox folder is in it's default location (my Windows profile folder called Rich) then the path to a file in my Dropbox would look like this:

• C:\Users\Rich\Dropbox\ASharedFolder\SomeFile.jpg

On your computer, again with Dropbox in the default location, the path would be something like:

• C:\Users\Natalie\Dropbox\ASharedFolder\SomeFile.jpg

When I link to a file, the path used includes my profile folder Rich, which doesn't exist on your computer, so the linked object cannot be found when you open the Illustrator file. It doesn't matter that you're both using the same Dropbox account. What matters is where the files are located on your computer.

The best solution to this would be for both of you to move your Dropbox folder to a new location on your drives, making sure that the full path to it is the same for both of you. On a Windows computer this might be in the root of your C: drive (I can't comment on Mac). If you do that, then the full path to the same example file above would look like this for both of you, which would allow you to link to other files in your Dropbox.

• C:\Dropbox\ASharedFolder\SomeFile.jpg

View solution in original post

IvyF
New member | Level 2

Hi.

I have the same problem of the broken link image.

I have some question on your solution.

My dropbox will be share with Mac and Windows compution, the full path of the share folder cannot be exactly the same.

Is there any other way to solve the problem? 

Many thanks~

Rich
Super User II

@Ivy wrote:

My dropbox will be share with Mac and Windows compution, the full path of the share folder cannot be exactly the same. Is there any other way to solve the problem?

Unfortunately, no.

The only solution is to get the various applications to support relative paths, which is highly unlikely to happen, and out of Dropbox's control.

IvyF
New member | Level 2

Sad..... T^T

But thanks anyway~

Indesign links not working across Team

GideonK
Explorer | Level 4

Up until Mojave (may not be the update but it started happening around then), DropBox has been a great solution for my design team. But we now have to relink all files everytime we open documents on a different computer.

This is happening in Indesign and Illustrator.

Any help gratefully received.

thanks

Gideon

Re: Indesign links not working across Team

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey Gideon! 

Could you please provide a bit more info on this? You mention: 
@GideonK wrote:

But we now have to relink all files everytime we open documents on a different computer. 

Are you getting any errors when you run the desktop app? Any additional info and screenshots (omitting personal info) illustrating your concern would be very helpful so as to have a better understanding. 

Thanks in advance! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?