cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux... move the Dropbox Folder

Linux... move the Dropbox Folder

MHBoise
Explorer | Level 4

I have been looking but not finding anything... can anyone point me in the right direction for moving the Dropbox folder?  I have Ubuntu Server (no Gui) installed and the Dropbox folder (and the two symlinks Dropbox Business created) is located in the home directory.  My data is in another directory (seperate hard drive) called Shares.  With the receint Dropbox update The symlink I created no longer work and I am dead in the water... Everything I do must be via Command Line... 

26 Replies 26

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi again @MHBoise - that was quick!

Can you first clarify what you mean by "the symlink I created no longer works" ? Are you getting any errors? Could you post any relevant screenshots so we can get a better look?

Also, as moving the Dropbox Folder via the CLI is not supported at this time, you may want to consider unlinking and relinking your account to use the other directory (separate hard drive) - as long as it's of a supported filesystem- upon re-installing. 

In any case, please let me know what you find!

PS: I've removed your other post from the public view as you mentioned you wanted it deleted.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @MHBoise,

Did you try "mount" either the separate drive or directory (using mount --bind) in Dropbox directory (or corresponding subdirectory)? If not yet, try it. Similar example with some additional options could be found. Take a look there. 😉

Hope this helps.

PS: Just replace symbolic links with mount points. Nothing more!

MHBoise
Explorer | Level 4

just so you know the hole setup:  I have a small hard drive with the OS and that included my Home directory.  The Dropbox folder is located in the Home directory.  My Data is located in another directory because it is located on a larger internal drive. So I created a Symlink int he Dropbox folder that points to the lacation of the data file. 

Dropbox updated last week and eliminated the functionality of the symlink.  My Files at Dropbox are locked up with some kind of error about the file type.  I would like to move the Dropbox folder to the directory that the data is on so I can sync up my files since I have no back up or version access now. 

My OS and file system are supported.  My use of Symlinks and the fact that my data is on a server is not supported.

I would like to fix my files and then either hand over all of our IT to a IT company or just use Dropbox Business as it was intended and have accounts for everyone in the building instead of using the file server. 

MHBoise
Explorer | Level 4

I will check out the link.  The drives are mounted in the Linux system as they are available to access from other computers in the network.  Everything was working fine until until the Update from Dropbox

MHBoise
Explorer | Level 4

Walter, if I unlinked and then uninstalled Dropbox then reinstalled it... I still wont have a way to designate where the Dropbox folder is.  I have not seen any instructions for deciding where the Dropbox folder would be wile installing.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Dropbox supports move folders in GUI only.

MHBoise
Explorer | Level 4

It seams that is the case... so sad.  I might have to fine a 3rd party backup asap.  I know it is possible and that someone at Dropbox... since all there servers are Linux... would know how to do it. There is just no documentation on it. I think I am too scared to try the mount thing since it is already mounted... can a drive be mounted in more than one place with out an issue?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hmm... many things are possible, but if you feel not  comfortable yourself in system configuration, better ask some more qualified to lead you. In such a case, you don't have to remount your drive. Use directory binding instead (as I noted above using "mount --bind <external dir> <Dropbox subdir>"). :wink: Something else: You have to ensure mount will be performed before every Dropbox application run! Easy way is to include corresponding line in "fstab".

ADD: Something important - when you use directory binding, the script noted in my previous post have to be used! Otherwise Dropbox will tell that your FS is incompatible (BUG).

MHBoise
Explorer | Level 4

I will keep that in mind... I do know someone who might be able to take the information you provided and impliment it.  Thanks

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rjk Helpful | Level 5
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    cipherguru Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?