cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local files deleted after enabling the computer backup and deleted the files from Dropbox.

Highlighted

Local files deleted after enabling the computer backup and deleted the files from Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I seriously can't understand what happened. I installed Dropbox app to see how my folders sync and saw that only the folders under dropox folder are getting synced. Then I saw an option in the app to backup desktop/documents, while setting it up I thought it will ask for subfolder options and didn't. It started syncing all my files. I somehow stopped the sync and went to the website and deleted whatever it uploaded. Then I went to the local dropbox folder and deleted the backup. I got a message "Deleting this folder will remove from Cloud and also all connected devices". 

This is where I was stupid. I said yes as I didn't have any connected devices. But after that it deleted from my local PC also. I was more stupid as I emptied the recyle bin just seconds back. Now I lost my CLIENT files. Fortunately only 1 client file but still I lost it and I have no way to recover. I am trying now using 3rd party apps to recover but struggling.

Why would Dropbox desktop app have to delete the source folders????? Why why???

Anyway I can get back my data?

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Local files deleted

Dropboxer

Hi there @mhafeez, I'm sorry to hear about this!

Have you tried restoring the files that you deleted from the website with these steps?

You'll only be able to restore the files that had synced to your account online, but hopefully you can retrieve some data that way.

For the files that didn't have the chance to sync yet, there isn't much I could suggest I'm afraid.

Since the recycling bin was emptied, using a third party recovery app would be the next best step, or checking any previous backups you may have on another drive for the files.

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Local files deleted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

Unfortunately I cleared all the folders in Dropbox as it was syncing my Documents folder and not giving me an option to stop (I did pause but then it started again). I used RecoverIt and managed to get my Source files (After Effects and Maya) but lost all my footages as it got corrupted. 

My only request to the Dropbox Engineering team is to please ensure that the Source files be never deleted. Please leave it to the user.

Tx,

Hafeez

Highlighted

Re: Local files deleted after enabling the computer backup and deleted the files from Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 7

@mhafeez wrote:

I seriously can't understand what happened. I installed Dropbox app to see how my folders sync and saw that only the folders under dropox folder are getting synced. Then I saw an option in the app to backup desktop/documents, while setting it up I thought it will ask for subfolder options and didn't. It started syncing all my files. I somehow stopped the sync and went to the website and deleted whatever it uploaded. Then I went to the local dropbox folder and deleted the backup. I got a message "Deleting this folder will remove from Cloud and also all connected devices". 

This is where I was stupid. I said yes as I didn't have any connected devices. But after that it deleted from my local PC also. I was more stupid as I emptied the recyle bin just seconds back. Now I lost my CLIENT files. Fortunately only 1 client file but still I lost it and I have no way to recover. I am trying now using 3rd party apps to recover but struggling.

Why would Dropbox desktop app have to delete the source folders????? Why why???

Anyway I can get back my data?

Hi As you said you have lost the files and want to recover. DropBox allows you to retrieve the data 30 to 40 days from the trash. Although you can visit this link: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete

Here you can find useful information as well as support. An alternative solution can try recuva or stellar data recovery free edition. It may recover your deleted files from your local machine. But the chance is low because overwritten data cannot be recovered. Try your luck. Thanks.

Highlighted

Re: Local files deleted after enabling the computer backup and deleted the files from Dropbox.

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@adambtolbert wrote:

... DropBox allows you to retrieve the data 30 to 40 days from the trash. Although you can visit this link: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete

Hi @adambtolbert,

One clarification: You can retrieve files that have been uploaded to Dropbox and removed after upload! You can't revert file(s) which have never been on Dropbox server, as in particular case! The root issue here is that "backuped" folders have been moved into Dropbox folder and replaced with links without proper notification to the users. This is not a real backup, actually! That's what confuses many users. The only folders instances reside in Dropbox folder, despite users impression.

This is softly said imperfection (not to say development's bug).

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?