cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local folder and files disappeared but still in Dropbox

Highlighted

Local folder and files disappeared but still in Dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

I have 10 folders under Dropbox folder, this morning I found one folder's files disappeared. If I login into Dropbox.com web I can see my files there however they are not syncing locally. I re-started my computer, unlinked and re-linked dropbox, it didn't work. I also tried to sync the whole dropbox into my the other drive but it didn't sync. 

None of the folder or files are selected "online only", they are all set as local files.

Please help coz it's all my work files. So scraed if I lose them.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Local folder and files disappeared but still in Dropbox

Dropboxer

Hey there @Cindy4d, I hope you're well today!

Since you're able to see the files in your account online but not locally, do these files perhaps contain any incompatible characters in their filenames?

You can check out a full list of these characters from here.

Otherwise, can you let me know what the sync status of the desktop app shows and the version of the app installed?

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I have been using Dropbox for my work over 5 years without issue. Under the disappeared folder there are over 200,000 files. None of the files are with incompletble character. So i don't think that's the reason.

Right now the desktop app is saying "syncing 219,705 files" because I unlinked and relinked to a new folder.  However only folders showed up in my new location, being empty inside each folder. 

The version I'm using is v104.4.175

Please help. Thanks!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Cindy4d!

Since the app is still syncing since relinking, we'll need to allow the app to complete sync to see if that will resolve the issue.

Can you let me know if the sync is progressing and the number of files that are syncing decreasing?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?