cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked folder that can't be removed?

Locked folder that can't be removed?

enjayare
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Forum members,

I have a folder that was sent to me by a client a couple of years ago that I can't remove from my Dropbox. The folder has a grey padlock on the bottom left corner and also an X in a red circle on the bottom right corner - see screen shot. I am using a Mac with OS Mojave 10.14.6

Can anyone advise how to remove this folder as I dont have authority to unlock it.

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 8.38.19 pm.png

39 Replies 39

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@enjayare, may be something else have happened. Probably immutable flag have been set. If so, you can trow it out using: "sudo chflags nouchg /Users/njrcon/Dropbox/Tender\ -\ 160\ Brook\ St\,\ Coogee" and/or "sudo chflags noschg /Users/njrcon/Dropbox/Tender\ -\ 160\ Brook\ St\,\ Coogee". Try it, just to be sure.

Finally give the result from "ls -lO /Users/njrcon/Dropbox/Tender\ -\ 160\ Brook\ St\,\ Coogee" or just take a look on get info window to check is "Locked" is still checked.

enjayare
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you I will try all these tomorrow and let you know what happens.

enjayare
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The Folder is in the Bin!!!

Thank you so much everyone for your on going help, it was "sudo chflags noschg /Users/njrcon/Dropbox/Tender\ -\ 160\ Brook\ St\,\ Coogee" that unlocked the folder.

Cheers Nick. 

Willem Groenewald
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have recently loaded my Personal Account on a Business Account and due to a locked file on my Dropbox-folder on my Macbook the Dorpbox-app can no longer sync.

On Finder it says I have no permission to delete the locked folder and I cannot unlock the folder. What to do?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Willem Groenewald, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

Since you mention that you're unable to delete a folder from your account, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of the notification that you get when you try to remove it?

Keep me posted - thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Willem Groenewald
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Lusil, please send me your email address so that I can send you the screenshots of the locked file.

I will need to take a decision soon whether to continue with Dropbox or not. My folders are not syncing and it seems as if no-one has an answer to resolve the lock-file issue that prevents syncing.

Regards, Willem

enjayare
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Willem, this is what worked for me last year, just substitute "Tender 160 Brook St Coogee" with your file name accordingly.

"sudo chflags noschg /Users/njrcon/Dropbox/Tender\ -\ 160\ Brook\ St\,\ Coogee" that unlocked the folder.

Willem Groenewald
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you for the assitance!

Please guide me where to incert the new file name on Finder? I am working on macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6

enjayare
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am not an expert with this sorry but I think you need to go to applications, then utilities, then terminal to enter the filename etc.

Willem Groenewald
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, the following worked for me:

Typing " sudo rm -r " in the Terminal and thereafter dragging the folder from the Finder into the Terminal to get the path - worked to delete the locked files and folder.

Thank you!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rothm New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    ARGPVA Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?