cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked folder that can't be removed?

Locked folder that can't be removed?

enjayare
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Forum members,

I have a folder that was sent to me by a client a couple of years ago that I can't remove from my Dropbox. The folder has a grey padlock on the bottom left corner and also an X in a red circle on the bottom right corner - see screen shot. I am using a Mac with OS Mojave 10.14.6

Can anyone advise how to remove this folder as I dont have authority to unlock it.

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 8.38.19 pm.png

39 Replies 39

enjayare
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

That is great glad I could be of assistance for you.

ARGPVA
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi - I have 3 locked folders on my Mac desktop that are no longer on Dropbox.com. I can't delete them - even with Terminal - and they have been synching for months. I've already uninstalled and re-installed Dropbox. Any ideas for deleting the folders from my desktop?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @ARGPVA, thanks for messaging today!

Are these files locked by the OS, and are you able to unlock in the Finder settings?

Could you forward a screenshot of the folders in Finder, and also what you see when you use ‘Get info’ on one of the folders.

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ARGPVA
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, thanks for the reponse. No they don't seem to be locked by the OS. When I open up info for the folder on Finder, I don't have the option of unlocking it.Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 14.31.43.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It looks like it is locked by the OS, given that there is a checkmark there under 'Locked'

Could you try the steps here to see if they help.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

ARGPVA
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Unfortunately it's only on my desktop in the Dropbox folder, so I can't leave the folder online (no longer exists). I also can't move the folder to Trash on the Desktop because it's locked and won't allow me to.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the details, it sounds like you're experiencing the issue I've merged your thread into.

As this seems to be a Mac issue, could you try the steps provided by the other community members to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

rothm
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

There is a locked folder in the dropbox files on my computer that I can not move to the trash (I'm on a Mac) and that will not sync with dropbox. The folder was originally shared with me on dropbox; however, the folder no longer shows up on when I go to dropbox using the web browser (even though the folder is on my machine). 

I've tried rebooting, removing and reloading dropbox, and all the other suggestions I could find from the FAQs and other on-line help.  I've also had a hour-long session with the IT folks where I work and they were unable to find a way to get rid of the folder.  Advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

My computer is endlessly trying to sync the one folder (though I can pause it when the endless syncing becomes a problem)

MR

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @rothm, thanks for reaching out to us. 

I moved your post here, where other users have had a similar issue. 

Could you have a look at the troubleshooting mentioned here, and let us know if it helps?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rothm
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Actually, I found this website,

https://itstillworks.com/unlock-folders-mac-desktop-9789.html

and was able to use the instructions there to get the file unlocked and move it to my trash.

Thanks for reaching out though with this thread!  

Mary

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rothm New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    ARGPVA Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?