cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Personal Folder

Loss of Personal Folder

APYW
Explorer | Level 3

I suddenly lost one of my data folder from my Dropbox in an evening. On the following morning I reported the case to Dropbox Support Team but the Support Team respond that I should discuss with the person who I shared the concerned folder with to regain my access.

This indicates that Dropbox Support Team has found the folder which I own but ask me to ask me to ask the person who stole my folder to regain access of my folder? I do not think that I know this person who share the folder with me but I am sure that this person is not a member of my team. I join Dropbox with a business subscription and there are only three members in the team (including myself). Can anyone advise me on how can I prove that the folder belong to me? Or how can I escalate the issue with Dropbox management? 

8 Replies 8

Re: Loss of Personal Folder

APYW
Explorer | Level 3

This folder is called "AW Personal Files" which contains many of my personal and my family members' information including passport copies, birth certificates, bank statements and many other details of my life... AW stands for Alex Wong. This is indeed a clear act to steal my and/or my family members' personal identities - a clear criminal act to gain access to my personal files. However how can Dropbox help me to prove the files belong to me? Lastly how could the person took my access away from me for not being a member of my team? I have reported this to the Hong Kong Police already but I am not sure whether I should report to the authority which govern the business registration of Dropbox? The management of Dropbox should be responsible for this kind of criminal activities to happen to their business customer who trusted them so far. I have asked Dropbox to roll me back to the file status before the incident as I am the "owner" of all the files but I was ignored by Dropbox.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @APYW 

The folder is a shared folder and if its been removed from your account then its never been 'owned' by you - it is somebody elses that you just had access to. Unfortunately the ONLY way to recover access is via them regardless of what the folder holds. 

If you are owner you can do it yourself at https://www.dropbox.com/share/folders

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

APYW
Explorer | Level 3

@Mark obviously I do not own the folder any more. Someone got into Dropbox and changed my personal folder (it was not a shared folder but a private one) into shared folder and then took my access away from me. The Dropbox system has been hacked and I was left behind as if I am stupid.... The Dropbox Customer Service is so useless and wanted to close the ticket as well. I guess that the process can not be escalated? 

SnailsPQ
New member | Level 2

I was on my way to pay for 3 TB and i've noticed half the files where missing?!! so im just gonna go and pay for a cloud space from microsoft!! this is bad guys!!

SnailsPQ
New member | Level 2

im serious how can i trust you guys to offer reliable could storage and we cant even contact you guys about nothing exept here!! come on now! 

APYW
Explorer | Level 3

@SnailsPQ so sorry to hear that, have you lost ownership of your file as well? If you still have ownership then you can use the REWIND function. My case is a hack and I need to inform Dropbox that it is Dropbox's responsibility as well. 

APYW
Explorer | Level 3

@SnailsPQ Hi I am the victim and this is the wrong spot to get to the Customer Service - logon Dropbox and click on the Contact support tag.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @APYW, as this is related to account security, only the support team can investigate this matter further on your behalf.

I'd recommend continuing with the support ticket for their further assistance

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    APYW Explorer | Level 3
    SnailsPQ New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?