cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost 1st chapter need it back HELP

Lost 1st chapter need it back HELP

New member | Level 2

Is there any way I can retrieve this very important document please help

Where did my book go? need help,
Hello I have been writing a book for three years, three days ago I was working from computer to computer and notice that Dropbox was not sinking, when I corrected the syncing it still did not sink I notice that both computers had different versions of Dropbox.

I Uploaded to the newest version on one computer so it would be compatible with the other computer. However, Dropbox required that I delete three Devices, I only had 3 devices two computers and one phone, however there were more devices on there, a windows device and I deleted the windows device and to other devices and now I can not find the first chapter of my book. I see the file is there when I click on the file it says this file has been moved or delete, is there any way I can retrieve this very important document please help I tried the recovery no luck I no longer see the file. can I do a restore and get all the old files back?

4 Replies 4

Re: Lost 1st chapter need it back HELP

Dropboxer

Hello @zohaib316, I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you. 

I'll just need a few more details, such as:

• A screenshot of the error message that you get when you try to open the file. 
  • What does your events page say in regards to the file? 
  • Can you find the file on the device that you unlinked? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Hello Lusil
Thanks for trying to help me, I haven't given up because I really don't want to re edit that chapter. However I no longer can find the file, the last time I was able to find the file I clicked on it and it said the file can not be found do I want to delete it or I think it said shortcut to this file could not be found. All I know is Dropbox said that it can be found and I'm not understanding why I can not find it. I believe I stated in the 1st message I was editing and when I got done anything I shut down and the next day I went over to my other computer and I could not find it and that is when I realized that I had 2 different versions of Dropbox so I made them come compatible and that's when I'm no longer could find my file it never showed up on the other computer however I did the upgrading on the computer that I was 1st doing the editing on that was the computer with the older version.

how do I request assistance in Dropbox

New member | Level 2

I have been trying to get help,  how do I request assistance in dropbox I need real help I tried everything to get a file bace can't find it I need a rewind, I read just call and dropbox will rewind for you, help if you can

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us here @zohaib316.

Could you clarify for me what you find in regards to Lusil's questions of what you find in your events page here for this particular file?

The events page will show you all actions related to your files, so perhaps it will shed some light on what happened.

Also, if you do a search in your account online for the filename, do you get any results there? Searching also shows deleted files with a small trash icon next to it.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?