cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost 5 yrs of work in backup to DB

Highlighted

Lost 5 yrs of work in backup to DB

Explorer | Level 4

At some point in the last few months I thought I'd be "safe" by copying my book manuscript to my DB account. I set it to back up, then walked away. This was going to take a while.

Didn't think a thing about it until last week I wanted to work on some of those files. Not only were the files missing for the latest version of the manuscript, **ALL** of the files were missing. Five or six years of work, various iterations of the manuscript....all missing.

Have checked all hard drives THOROUGHLY! Spent hours combing through folders. Not there.

Have checked all DropBox folders thoroughly. Not there.

Have tried to access DropBox's "cache" files, but those are too small to contain much and when I try, anyway, they are gibberish. Not there.

Am I scrod?

Please help!

BRD

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Lost 5 yrs of work in backup to DB

Explorer | Level 4

Me too, I just lost the last 25 days of new files and modifications to old files.They were important work stuff. Crazy!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I had been thinking of upgrading my DB account, since I'm finding it such a useful thing. But this wholesale loss of data is making me question whether it's worthwhile to do so. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @BRD1953, @lazzar, thanks for messaging the Community.

I'm sorry to hear about the missing files. How did you move files to Dropbox? Was it by uploading it to the Dropbox site, or moving them into the local Dropbox folder?

Do you have any other devices that could have deleted the files from the site? Do you see deletions in the events page, or to recover files from this page?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

All my files since April are lost.

I worked directly on Dropbox, saving every day as "final".

Last accessible on14 September 2020.

The files disappeared from all devices.

JMK2

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Jay, 

I don't remember which method I used to upload. My impression of the "local" Dropbox folder is that it is simply (in truth) a link to the Dropbox site. I believe that I tried to upload to the site, but cannot be 100% that this is what I did.  It's been several weeks ago, now. 

As for any other devices....no. These particular files are stored on ONE device that does not communicate much with my other devices. (It's a PC. My other devices are all Apple products.) 

I have looked high and low. Did machine searches on my entire friggin' PC hard drive system. Couldn't find them. So finally downloaded Recuva and tried that. I have gotten some files back, but they are jumbled as to versions. I.e., exactly WHICH version of Chapter 7 is this? There are six versions to which it might belong! 

Ironically, Recuva seems to indicate that the files are still "in" the larger subdirectory where they are supposed to be (but not in the smaller sub-directories under it), but the bits of coding that actually *identify* them as being there aren't getting picked up by the operating system when I ask it to search. 

As I said, I have found DropBox rather useful and had been thinking about getting a regular subscription to it, but now I'm pulling back from that impulse. Not sure I can rely on it not to bugger up my files. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @JMK2, Was this file in a shared folder? Do you see any events with the deletion here?

@BRD1953, it does sounds like something occurred when you were uploading, or syncing, the files. Since the Recuva app found some of it on your machine, at one point it was on the computer, but the move to the subfolder wasn't there, so perhaps this is why it wasn't loading.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

It is there on my computer's hard drive, for Recuva to find. 

However, it is not separated into the appropriate version numbers. So I have to try to reconstruct that. 

The question is (1) Why did DropBox do this? 

And (2) Can I trust DropBox to not drop my material, in the future? Especially given that the whole reason I was backing up to DropBox was to prevent this very kind of loss of data! 

Brenda

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?