cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Lost Dropbox file updates following PC Image Restore

Explorer | Level 4

I did an image restore on my PC from an image back up of my PC dated 3/21/19 done on an external hard drive to resolve some pc internet connection issues.  The PC issues were reolved but all my dropbox file updates after 3/21/19 are gone.  Files are there but reflecting old versions... 

I am not understanding why? or what to do to retrieve recent versions made after 3/21.  I love dropbox... and have been using for years.

When I look at my file versions history at dropbox.com  ... no file versions after 3/21/19. 

Help! Thanks!  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Lost Dropbox file updates following PC Image Restore

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for following up on this John! How are you today?

@woody9 wrote:

I recently had to do a image restore my PC. After the restore I checked and all my dropbox files were up to date ... but the restored (same) files on my PC were onlu up to date as of the image restore date.

This makes sense if you restored those files from a back-up image of your PC that was created in a previous point in time.

From what I understand, your local copy of your files is corrupted and not your Dropbox files.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you let me know if you're running the desktop app (you should see a Dropbox icon in your computer's system tray) now and what's its exact status? 

Do you see any syncing icons on your files within the Dropbox folder on the affected computer?

If not, you'll need to (re)launch the Dropbox desktop application and give it time to sync your files until it shows 'Up to date'. 

In the meantime, you can always access and download your files from the website when/if needed. 

If you stumble upon an issue or a specific error during the process, please forward me a screenshot so I can have a visual too. 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there @woody9

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @woody9 - sorry to hear about this.

Based on your description, I'd say that you weren't running the desktop app on the affected computer after you performed the image restore. This means that you were working on your files locally on your computer - this would explain why no changes made it to our servers. 

At this point, could you take a look at your events page to verify if that's the case?

You can access your events page here: https://www.dropbox.com/events

Let me know what you find!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Wlater -

Thank you for coming along side.  The events page shows expected activity of mainly edits up to 3/21.  After my 3/21 PC restore there are only additions and deletion of files events listed with many of those missing ... and no "edit" events which is very strange.  Also, I have several emails I sent after 3/21 where I attached dropbox files I had saved to dropbox after after 3/21 (as I save all of my data files like WORD and EXCEL to dropbox) and they are all missing from 3/21 to the PC restore date in mid July.

As a test, I edited and saved one of my dropbox files ... 20 minutes later I don't see that edit event on the events page.

Thanks for hanging in there with me!

John

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information John - it's much appreciated.

At this point, could you clarify the exact status of the desktop app and if you happen to have another account (under another email address)? 

Spoiler

You can always look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu.

If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the message being displayed reads?

Thanks!

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter -

I looked at the DropBox task bar and it says it is "up to date".  When I click on it it shows the Recent Acitivity Page ... which is not recent,  under "Today" it is showing my activity from months ago probably just before my PC Restore I an guessing.

Yes, I have another Dropbox account ... but haven;t accessed it in a year or so.

Thanks, John

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

At this point, I think you were most likely working on an offline (non syncing) Dropbox Folder after the PC restore you mention John.

Your events page should give you a better view of this, I guess, as all adds, edits and deletes are normally logged there. 

On a side note, did you take a look at your other account to see if the files you're looking for are somehow located there?

If they're not there either, I'm afraid those files and/or changes never made it to our servers to begin with.

In any case, please keep me posted on your findings!

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Walter

I had a breakthrough on this issue and now know what caused my original problem ... Dropbox is/was working fine ... My PC files were corrupted in the image restore.

Can I Do a Reverse Sync? Meaning: Can I have dropbox update the matching files on my PC (rather than the usual snyc of having my PC update the same files on dropbox)?

I recently had to do a image restore my PC. After the restore I checked and all my dropbox files were up to date ... but the restored (same) files on my PC were onlu up to date as of the image restore date.

So my online dropbox files are my source of truth and I wish to to do what I would call a reverse sync from dropbox to my PC to get my PC file versions up todate. Is that possible? Otherwise I will need to download file by file from dropbox to my PC... and hope to identify all the changed files.

Thank you for your help!

John

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for following up on this John! How are you today?

@woody9 wrote:

This makes sense if you restored those files from a back-up image of your PC that was created in a previous point in time.

From what I understand, your local copy of your files is corrupted and not your Dropbox files.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you let me know if you're running the desktop app (you should see a Dropbox icon in your computer's system tray) now and what's its exact status? 

Do you see any syncing icons on your files within the Dropbox folder on the affected computer?

If not, you'll need to (re)launch the Dropbox desktop application and give it time to sync your files until it shows 'Up to date'. 

In the meantime, you can always access and download your files from the website when/if needed. 

If you stumble upon an issue or a specific error during the process, please forward me a screenshot so I can have a visual too. 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there @woody9

Walter

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Wonderful Wonderful Wonderful .... Walter!

I followed the steps you suggested as the dropbox desktop application was not running or in the tray.   and now everything looks great! with the app saying "up to date" ...  

Bottom line for me .... is that when I do an image restore, I must remember to startup  the Drop Box desktop application  ... and it's associated syncing with the Drop Box cloud files (as the source of truth) ... which from my way of thinking lines the pointers  file date versions current instead as of the backup.   my further understanding is there are no local PC copies of my files I'm storing on the dropbox cloud.

Thanks again! John  

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Apart from the ones within your Dropbox folder that is John.

Remember the Dropbox Folder on your computer when you're running our desktop application, is merely another folder on your computer; only with syncing capabilities.

In any case, I'm glad we managed to resolve this and thanks a bunch for you kind words - I truly appreciate them (it's a great way to start your month after all). 

As always, you know where we at should you come up with any Dropbox questions in the future. Just give us a shout and we'll be happy to assist!

Happy November and thanks for sticking with me on this one @woody9

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?