cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Files (Deskop/documents)

Lost Files (Deskop/documents)

StephanieHou
New member | Level 2

Hi, 

I recently backed laptop up to dropbox. - It said 'not enough space', so I used a USB hard drive instead.

I then deleted dropbox/emptied the trash on my computer and suddently everything disappeared from my laptop. (21st Jan) Desktop/documents/downloads! (When I log into dropbox wierdly there's only stuff from about 2006). 

Is there a way of recovering these files? My laptop is currently at a data recovery shop but not sure how much luck theyre having. 

Thanks

Stephanie 

5 Replies 5

Re: Lost Files (Deskop/documents)

Mark
Super User II

Hi @StephanieHou 

It sounds like Dropbox hasnt been syncing because its full. What does www.dropbox.com/account and www.dropbox.com/events show?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

StephanieHou
New member | Level 2

Hi Mark, Thanks for your reply. 

Events shows: 

The computer Stephanies-MacBook-Air.local was linked to your account
20/1/2021 10:33 PM

Please can you clarify what you mean by whats shown on 'account'? 

Thanks

Stephanie 

Mark
Super User II

If that is all events shows and nothing is before that then the account you are using now is a brand new account and so nothing else is on it. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

StephanieHou
New member | Level 2

Oh right...

Do you know how I can see if I have any other dropbox accounts? I get the sense I may of had one registered under @outlook.com instead of hotmail.com too... 

Thanks

Mark
Super User II

The only way would be to try and log in OR check in your email accounts for emails from @dropbox.com to see if that helps. 

Note though without access to the email account you wont be able to log in if you dont know the password

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?