cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Lost Files

Lost Files

dmack4646
Explorer | Level 3

Help deleted files

I was working with what I thought  was a downloaded version of Dropbox in Windows 10 and had a lot of files there - I realised that it was not synching (since 2019)and that in fact Dropbox was not installed on the PC so I downloaded the software to set up on my PC - when I was setting it up it picked up that there was a file called Dropbox already there and I stupidly said yes to the calling the newly downloaned version Dropbox of course what happened was that it then deleted all the new files that had been added since 2019 as that was not a copy of Dropbox - can anyone tell me how to get them back ?

1 Reply 1

Re: Lost Files

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @dmack4646,

Dropbox usually doesn't delete Dropbox folder. When some outdated version of previous install gets discovered, the existing folder "Dropbox" gets renamed to something like "Dropbox (Old)" or similar on the same place. After that, a new Dropbox folder comes up and actual account content (in your case old, cause not hasn't been in sync) gets in there. Take a look for the renamed folder and move the newer files in the actual Dropbox folder, so account content would get updated (following the local content "mirror" update). 😉 Don't forget Dropbox application in future; sync runs when the application is running.

Hope this helps.

Need more support?