cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Legal Documents

Lost Legal Documents

New member | Level 2

I did important work on legal documents yesterday and opened Word today to find that all that work is destroyed and my documents are marked as unedited since June. I have checked Dropbox status and apparently there were problems yesterday. I recently accepted the prompt to integrate Dropbox with Word. For some reason Word is reporting no previous versions of the files and there is nothing in the unsaved file folder. Rather than taking the local version and updating the online ones, Dropbox has apparently taken back ups from Friday and reinstalled them over the local ones today. If I log into my Dropbox account and check for older version none appear and instead I get the error message "an error occurred while loading". I am going out of my mind here. Is there anyway to get yesterday's version back?

2 Replies 2

Re: Lost Legal Documents

Dropboxer

Hi @LostLegalDocuments; welcome to the Community and sorry to hear about this. 

It sounds like those edits never made it to our servers, possibly because our desktop app wasn't running or syncing properly on your computer. Could you take a look at your system tray/menu bar and let me know if it's 'Up to date' now or still syncing? 

While we're at it, could you take a look at your account's events page to see if there's any sign of your edits there?

Regarding the error you get upon checking the older versions of those files, could you try another browser to see if you get the same results? 

Let me know what you find! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Lost Legal Documents

New member | Level 2

Hi, Thank you for replying. Weirdly, after reading a forum post that had success with the same solution I restarted the computer and the files appeared in their edited form so nothing was lost. However, after this, despite Dropbox indicating in the systray that everything was synched, the versions in my browser when I logged into Dropbox and the versions in my desktop Dropbox folder did not correspond. The online versions were Friday's versions. I tried pausing and restarting Dropbox to force a true sync but it continued to report as synched while the files did not correspond. I have to admit I was so disturbed by this I uninstalled Dropbox from both my laptop and my phone and switched the Google Drive and Amazon Photos.

I've just checked events as you suggested and there is nothing listed for Saturday. I looked at Dropbox service status yesterday and it reported serious problems for Saturday so I assumed that is what the problem was.

I have just tried to look at older version of the file in a different browser (Edge instead of Chrome) and I receive the same error message.

What I don't understand is that the files in my desktop Dropbox folder had lost their Saturday revisions before restarting the laptop. It would have made more sense if it had been like that just online via the browser.

I am very happy to have recovered my files but the false reporting of being synched and the error in retrieving previous versions of a file that has been on there for about a year has rattled me enough to at least temporarily stop using the product.

Thanks again for your reply.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?