cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Word Edits

Explorer | Level 4

All of my edits in my Word documents in Dropbox over the past two days have disappeared. All of the files that edited say that they haven't been edited since 8/7/20 (it is now 8/12/20). What is going on!?

5 Replies 5

Re: Lost Word Edits

Dropboxer

Hey @Stephen Duncan, let's see what we can find. 

How did you edit these Microsoft Word documents? Was it through the desktop app, the website, or the mobile app? 

Could you also let me know if the files' version history all show that the 8/7/20 was the last time you edited them?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

It was through the desktop app on my home computer. And, yes, the files' version histories all say 8/7/20 was the last day, even though I edited them on 8/10 and 8/11.

Dropboxer

Hi @Stephen Duncan, it sounds like the Dropbox desktop application hasn't been syncing to the Dropbox site since that date.

What message does the app say when you hover over the icon in the system tray/menu bar on your computer?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

In the task bar it says "Dropbox 103.4.383 Up to date." When I hover over the desktop icon, it says "Dropbox--sync your files online and accross computers."

If it was failing to sync, is there anywhere I should be able to find those edits?

Dropboxer

Assuming you have it setup in Word, there is a Microsoft feature to create local backups of files in case of situations where the file isn't saved. 

Their article is fairly detailed, and might help you locate the missing files.

Hope this helps!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?