cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost all files from my computer

Lost all files from my computer

Alvar
New member | Level 2

Hi, I made a Dropbox account today, synced it with my computer, and all of the files and folders disappeared. Every single file from "Documents""Desktop""Downloads" etc, just gone. Forever? There is nothing else left than a dropbox link in my documents folder, and when I click on it, it says "error...". I can't open my desktop Dropbox either. I tried to uninstall and redownload, doesn't work. 

What can I do?

I already lost like 90% of my files last fall, after moving my files on an external hard-drive, and it crashed and locked itself. I've taken the hard-drive to reparation stores and nobody can fix it. I took it as a fresh start for a new year, but now I have lost all my work again :)..

Please help.

Thank you,

-Alvar

1 Reply 1

Re: Lost all files from my computer

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @Alvar, I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

It sounds like you had the computer backup enabled to sync those folders on your computer to Dropbox.

If you currently have the app installed, can you confirm that the backup feature is disabled by following the steps towards the bottom of this article?

Also, do you have a "Dropbox (Old)" folder on your computer? If so, can you find the files you're looking for there?

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?