cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost an entire large folder and all its contents and subfolders in free account

Lost an entire large folder and all its contents and subfolders in free account

New member | Level 2

I am a long time Dropbox user and a long time Professional Management of Information Systems IT professional

I have depended for years and years on Dropbox as a reliable tool but have just apparently experienced a catastrophic and so far irretrievable Dropbox file / folder loss … with a small discrepancy depending on which device I am trying to access the missing folders / files.  

Which leads me to believe the problem may be due to a file system glitch on Dropbox’s part.

Also it is very odd that … as the numerous missing folders and files are the contents of a folder that still exists… the missing folders and files would have been very difficult to impossible to accidentally delete or move carelessly. To do so would have required a fair amount of intentional labor … which as an IT professional  really would be unlikely to have occurred in my case.

Background:

I discovered today that the entire contents of one of my synced Dropbox folders ... an "AirBnb" folder containing multiple subfolders and many many important documents... has completely disappeared when viewing the folder from my Win10 computer’s file system.

However, when viewing it from my iPhone's Dropbox app, the AirBnb contains one solitary file. 

So there is a discrepancy between computer and smartphone re: this folder and its contents but on both of them all contents of my Airbnb folder … except for the one file … are missing.

I have checked the Deleted files folder and the missing folder and files are not there.  

I have over 2 GB of “non multimedia” business and personal  document type files stored in my Dropbox account in a multiple tiered file hierarchy.  Word document, excel files etc.  Hard to tell if anything else is also missing

HELP!   The missing folders and files are critically important. 

Also wondering if there is any way to get Dropbox system admin to check my account’s file system integrity and / or history re: that folder  

NOTES: 

My Dropbox's account capacity is only roughly half full.

This missing folder and subfolders and documents …  as with just about ALL … 99.9 % … of my Dropbox folders and files … were created by me and have not EVER been shared with anyone.  Nor does anyone have access to my personal computing devices other than myself.

Because of COVID, it has been several months since I last accessed the AirBnb folder in question … which in my Dropbox file hierarchy is a subfolder itself of a BUSINESS folder.     

DS

1 Reply 1

Re: Lost an entire large folder and all its contents and subfolders in free account

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @dbotas,

https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/events

You can take a look here for 'ideas' what has gone on. :winking face:

Hope this helps.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?