cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost everything on my desktop

Highlighted

Lost everything on my desktop

Explorer | Level 3

I accidently synced my desktop to my dropbox. That filled up my dropbox so I deleted the folder. It erased everything from my desktop too. Since the file was so big it did not fit in the recycle bin so it permanently deleted it. Is there any way to recover it? I have the free dropbox account.

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Lost everything on my desktop

Dropboxer

Hey @RobAllen, let's see what we can find on this together. 

It sounds like computer backup was enabled, which backs up your Documents, Downloads, and Desktop folders to your Dropbox folder. 

Since you've deleted the folders, could you try having a look at your deleted files tab and restore any relevant files you find there?

Once you do that, turn computer backup off and move the files back to their original locations. 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Because it was such a large file it permanently deleted it. My son put in a new hard drive last year but didn't enable system restore so there are no restore points.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Just to make sure we cover as much ground as possible, could you check your deleted files tab, as well as the events page, for any additional information? 

In the meantime, do you by any chance have any other third party app that could restore the files locally? 

Keep me posted, @RobAllen!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

The deleted tab shows only a couple of folders I deleted last month. The events tabs shows adding a desktop folder and documents folder this morning, but does not show deleting them.

I do bot have any 3rd party apps.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I did find one excel spreadsheet file that I have saved to one drive. But everything else was lost. I don't understand why the only option to delete a file in dropbox is to delete it everywhere. There should be an option to delete from dropbox only.

I should have been aware of that but it was early in the morning and I was in a hurry to share some pictures with a friend through dropbox as I had done several times before. Gues I will never try that again.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me and I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. 

You could try installing and running a third party app in case they help recover any local files that you're not able to locate. 

I understand that this isn't the ideal solution for you, but if there's anything else I can help with, please don't hesitate to give me another nudge. 

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?