cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost files after installing the desktop app, what can I do?

Lost files after installing the desktop app, what can I do?

Explorer | Level 3

I have lost my Outlook contacts and calendar appointments.  All of them.  I believe I somehow disconnected my gmail account with dropbox tonight as well.  Everytime I think I'm fixing something, I make another thing worse.  I am basically in over my head and need help. 

I ordered Dropbox because it was offered by my Quicken account. I had recently run into an issue with my quicken back-up and this was going to be my cloud back-up solution. It took me 9 months to resolve my Quicken issues. Last month I finally got to the point where I could start utilizing Dropbox.  It completely took my desktop and moved everything around and I couldn't find a thing. Nothing was where it should be located.  I tried to fix it. It got worse. I thought I had it fixed. Thought I'd back up my Outlook. Now my contacts and calendars are missing. Completely gone. 

I need help.  I need help to get everything restored.  I want to have Dropbox removed, please. Obviously this program isn't going to work for me and I'm really disappointed.  I'm pretty computer savvy, but this is way over my head. Could somebody help me get this figured out? I need help and then I'm going to need to make sure this doesn't auto renew on  me too.  Thank you so much!!

6 Replies 6

Re: Lost files

Dropboxer

Hello there @Del3, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with this!

From what you mentioned, it sounds like you might have enabled the computer backup feature when installing the desktop app on your computer.

Please follow the steps outlined here to disable the backup. In step 8, please choose to keep the files on your computer, rather than Dropbox, to make sure they're in their original locations once completed.

I would suggest to try this first, and then we can tackle any remaining issues you might have (eg. with missing Outlook info).

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Daphne

RATS!  I did it again. Now the app has duplicated almost everything on my desktop. Some have green checkmarks in the lower left of the icon and others just say (New) in the name.  The Dropbox tray in the lower right is blue, so I surmizing it is basically syncing.  The info and what I was reading mentioned that I should let it finish if I had stalled some of what I had 'stalled' before (which I did do). So...hence what I did.  So I've created another issue for myself.  Do I go ahead and begin deletiing icons that say (New) off of my desktop first after I see that the Dropbox Tray turns green?

Explorer | Level 3

Daphne

Also, when I clicked on the Dropbox tray, there is an option to link with with Outlook.  Would my contacts & calendar information be in there?!

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me so swiftly here @Del3!

At this point, I would say to allow the app to complete syncing, and then restart your device.

If you're still seeing the duplication, please send over some screenshots of what you're seeing, and we can figure out what to do from there.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure what you might be seeing there with the "(New)" duplicates, so I wouldn't want to suggest deleting them before making sure we're on the same page.

In the meantime, can you send me a screenshot of the prompt to connect Outlook?

I don't believe that this will restore any missing contact etc, as the Dropbox/Outlook integration is more towards allowing you to directly add Dropbox files, or save attachments to Dropbox.

Just as a last point, to clarify the matter, did this syncing/duplicates occur after following the steps to disable the computer backup?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Daphne

20201212 desktop screenshot.PNG

Daphne,

Attached is a small screenshot showing the (New) duplicated icons for your reference.  Yes, this is what happened when I was going about following your instructions, but I feel I didn't do #8 correctly.  I will try to do that now, but wanted you to see what I did.  I won't delete anything as you suggested.  This is where I am.  I apologize for not getting back to you earlier.  ~Del

Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @Del3!

It looks like they're still syncing with Dropbox, did you possibly choose to keep the files in Dropbox in step 8?

Not to worry if this is the case, we can work around this, it might just take a few steps.

Firstly, can you let me know if the files still show within the "My PC" folder in the Dropbox folder on your computer? If so, do you see the duplicated "New" files there too?

If you try deleting the "New" version of one of these (please try with a shortcut rather than a file just in case), does the original file remain, and can it be opened successfully if you double click it?

Let me know and we'll go from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?