cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost files in Dropbox

Lost files in Dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

Hi - hoping someone can help. I uploaded several important powerpoint presentations into my personal (free) Dropbox months ago. I need them now and just discovered they aren't there. Has this happened to anyone and if so, is there a way to recover them? They were definitely there and I have no other Dropbox account. i recently got a new MacBook but can't imagine that has any bearing on this as aren't these files saved on the Cloud?

Lastly - In trying to open some files, it says they are too large and to try a smaller file - what?? 

thanks in advance for any help!

4 Replies 4

Re: Lost files in Dropbox

Dropboxer

Hi @JennyE, thanks for joining the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about your missing files. Are you able to recover them from the deleted files page, if they were deleted within the last 30 days? Can you see the deletions on the events page?

Regarding the message you're receiving, could you attach a screenshot showing exactly where you're seeing this and in which app? Is it on the Dropbox site via the browser?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi - thanks for responding! (no deleted files, still mystified).

Re: inability to download other files - Here is the screenshot of what I'm seeing, attached.

Thanks! Jenny

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 2.58.02 PM.png

Dropboxer

It sounds like the files were most likely deleted outside of the 30 days, so it wouldn't be possible to recover them via Dropbox, unfortunately. 

Regarding the file, are you trying to open it in Google Sheets via the Dropbox site? How large is the file itself?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5
Here you can easily restore the lost/deleted files-
https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/deleted_files
Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?