cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost files when switching to a different computer, need help to restore files

Lost files when switching to a different computer, need help to restore files

New member | Level 2

Hello

So I had my dropbox account on my microsoft surface book. I recall to always have seen green arrows on all my files when I was working on my laptop indicating that synch is on and working. A couple of days ago my laptop was stolen and I needed to buy a new surface book. While I was installing it I tried to synch my dropbox and new device. This went horribly wrong because when I did that none of the important folders I had been working on in the past 6 months were on my laptop. Similarly when I log onto my dropbox on the internet there are also none of the important files on there. Please can someone help me? Ideally I need to restore the old files from 6 moths back and get them on my new device.

Thank you so much

Flavia

6 Replies 6

Re: Lost files when switching to a different computer, need help to restore files

Dropboxer

Hello there @flaviatogni, I'm sorry to hear about that!

If you do a quick search in your account online for the missing folders/files, do you have any results there?

Also, please check in your Events page here for any actions related to these folders. Perhaps they were deleted by mistake or moved into another folder.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Lost files when switching to a different computer, need help to restore files

Explorer | Level 3

Hey

No neither of these things work. What else can I do?

Explorer | Level 3

I would like for dropbox to give me a ticket so one person can assist me with this issue. Online I cannot find anything and also over the events page not really.

Dropboxer

Hi @flaviaalessandra, just to clarify, are there any files in the deleted files page?

If you're not seeing files from six months ago on your account, then it sounds like they were deleted, or or shared folders you no longer have access to, or weren't synced to your account.

Is there a possibility of them being on another Dropbox account you own?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

No they arent in the deleted page either. I just wonder why there has always been a green synch sign on the folders on my laptop and now all of a sudden they are gone. Could you please give me a ticket and forward me to someone that might be able to take a closer look at this please.

Dropboxer

I understand your frustration of this matter. You can contact the team by opening an incognito/private browsing window, while not signed into your account, and accessing this link.

From there you should be able to contact support. Make sure to enter the same email you use to login to Dropbox. Thanks!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?