Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Lost folders after downloading Desktop app

Helpful | Level 5

Hi, I downloaded the Desktop app and now all the folders that I had in a Dropbox folder (in a folder on the Desktop) have disappeared. Is there any way to get them back? I've tried looking in the cache but it's empty. I can recover some stuff from by accessing Desktop via the browser but the most recent tax stuff from the past year or so has gone.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Lost folders after downloading Desktop app

Helpful | Level 5

Hi again, I have some good news:

I didn't yet get round to signing in with the different a/cs but I no longer need to because... I've found the files! I happened to be attaching a file to an e-mail from the Dropbox folder and I noticed that underneath it in the master menu was another folder called "Dropbox (Old)" containing everything that I'd thought had been lost. The icon was a folder with the DB icon on it. I then did a system search for the folder, it was listed, so I've now dragged into the newly synched DB folder. I can't tell you where it was stored unfortunately as I forgot to note it, but the name turned up in the process of attaching a document to an e-mail and a system search located it.

Now there's a thing...

Thank you for all your support!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Woodswords, thanks for checking in with us. Let's see what we can find. 

As a first step, could you clarify for me the following pieces of info:

• Are you able to see the files/folders from the website? 
  • What does the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock show when you hover over it?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi, thanks for replying.

I can see older stuff via the website, but that's going back to like 2018. It hasn't synched for ages.

Hovering over the icon, I get "Dropbox 90.4.307 Up to date"

There are two events that may have caused this: I clicked on "Rename" when I was installing the desktop app, but I was only doing that after I had delinked my MacBook via the website, thinking I could relink it once the desktop app had been downloaded. I had been using desktop Dropbox rather than the website and I was trying to get it to start synching again.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply, @Woodswords

Could you also check if the desktop app and the website are signed in to the same account? You can check this from:

• Website - your General tab in your Settings. 
  • Desktop app - Dropbox icon > avatar icon > Preferences > Account tab.

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, this is me again, just with a different user name (as the Community page wouldn't bring me here without completing my subscription by entering a user name, which I already had), so this is just an amended username for the same person/issue.

In answer to your question, the desktop app and website are signed into the same but different account: they both have the same name before the @, but the desktop app is "@googlemail.com" and the website is "@gmail.com". 

Thanks!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

In this case, you are looking at two different Dropbox accounts. 

Although Google may accept @googlemail.com and @ gmail.com as one account, Dropbox sees them as two separate, which also explains why you were asked to create another username on the Community. 

Having said that, could you try logging in to the other Dropbox account via the website and see if you can find the missing content there? 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi!

I signed into DB with both e-mail endings, one gives me the state of play before DB stopped synching around March 2018 and the other gives me the state of play today after I downloaded the desktop app. I can only imagine that the DB folder I was using on my desktop since March 2018 wasn't actually linked to DB, and when I downloaded the app to start synching again, it replaced everything. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

To make sure that we cover as much initial ground as possible, could you check the activity logged in your events page for both accounts? 

There, you should find more info on changes (including additions and deletions) that went on to content in your account. 

Keep me posted, @Woodswords!

Lusil

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi again, I have some good news:

I didn't yet get round to signing in with the different a/cs but I no longer need to because... I've found the files! I happened to be attaching a file to an e-mail from the Dropbox folder and I noticed that underneath it in the master menu was another folder called "Dropbox (Old)" containing everything that I'd thought had been lost. The icon was a folder with the DB icon on it. I then did a system search for the folder, it was listed, so I've now dragged into the newly synched DB folder. I can't tell you where it was stored unfortunately as I forgot to note it, but the name turned up in the process of attaching a document to an e-mail and a system search located it.

Now there's a thing...

Thank you for all your support!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad to hear that you were able to get to the bottom of this, @Woodswords!

If anything else pops up in the future, don't hesitate to give us a shout. 

In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?