cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost iCloud files

Highlighted
New member | Level 2

Hi all.

I seem to have lost some files.  I had a load of large .csv files which were saved on my hard drive, which was set up to back up automatically to iCloud.  I didn't realise that sometimes iCloud takes the file into the cloud to save space and leaves only a placeholder or ghost file behind.  I moved the files into a Dropbox folder to share with someone else, but it seems for many of the files I just moved the ghost file.  I was low on Dropbox space, which may not have helped.  They're gone from the original location so there's no icloud backup to restore them from.  Clutching at straws here. ,but does dropbox have a copy somewhere?

Thanks in anticipation...

J

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Lost iCloud files

Dropboxer

HI there @jonsil; thanks for joining our Community!

If you only uploaded the icloud placeholders in the first place, I' m afraid those would be the ones you'll be able to recover from our website, assuming that they made it to our servers that is. 

Have you tried reaching out to Apple directly in case they can assist further? 

I know it's not the answer you were looking for, but I hope this helps. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?