cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost latest version of ,xls file

Lost latest version of ,xls file

diplomaBSSH
Explorer | Level 3

I went to open a copy of an .xls spreadsheet that I use via pinned link in Recent in .xls and got the sorry unavailable to find... message

Looked at it in file explorer where I access it from at other times and found that the lastest version is from 14 Jan 2021. I last edited and updated it this week 27 April 2021.

I tried to restore from version history, but there is none available via either the local or browser version of Dropbox. I use the basic version.

Any ideas what has gone wrong and how I can get my up to date version back.

Also worried that other files have also reverted to earlier version for other collaborators on our Dropbox account.

8 Replies 8

Re: Lost latest version of ,xls file

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @diplomaBSSH, thanks for joining us and happy Friday!

Can you please clarify where you're usually accessing and working on this specific file from? Is it our website?

If you're working on the file from the website, all your updates should be saved to our servers automatically, and you should be able to find the version you're looking for. 

Have you also tried from a different browser or from an incognito/private browsing window, to see if you have different behavior?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

diplomaBSSH
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

Thanks for getting back

I normally access it from my local drive

I tried accessing via can incognito window and still the same result 

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @diplomaBSSH, are you certain that the Dropbox desktop application is running and syncing on your machine?

As you're not seeing the version of the file on the deleted files or events page, then there's a few possibilities as to where the file might be:
  • The file is on another Dropbox account
  • It was on a shared folder you don't have access to any more
  • The desktop app wasn't running or syncing to the server
  • The file was deleted outside of the 30 day period
  • The file was permanently deleted
Please check your local machine to see if the file is still visible from there, since it isn't on the Dropbox site.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

diplomaBSSH
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've now checked all of the above:

I have no other Dropbox account

I am admin and therefore access to all files 

It may be that the sync didn't work, I ran a sync, but this file is still showing a last save date as Jan 21, when I know I have used it and saved it repeatedly since up to and including April 2021

The file was not deleted

Any other suggestions welcome

Thanks

I've done a search in file explorer on my local drive not found the file other than the Jan 21 version

Jay
Dropboxer
If there isn't any version history or event history of the file on the Dropbox site, or the computer, then it won't be possible to recover the copy of the file that you're missing now.

As to where the file is, it wouldn't be possible to say, since it looks like it wasn't syncing to Dropbox.

You mentioned it was pinned in Recents, is this the Recents page on the Dropbox site, or on your computer only? Is the shortcut link still there?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

diplomaBSSH
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

"Recents" was a pinned file within Excel. The link is still there and no opens the January version of the file

I'm giving up hope on recovering this file. All others now seem to be ok. May be a sync problem and that is trying to track down the missing version I have now compounded the problem.

I've started to rebuild the information. Lots of lost time and a lesson in backing up!

Anything else you can suggest. If I could recover it would be really helpful

Cheers

Jay
Dropboxer
Since the only way you've opened the file is via Excel, it's possible that it was no longer in the Dropbox folder, or it was opening the wrong file somehow, seeing as there was no version history on the site.

Perhaps the link is instead pointing at the cache folder, or some other location which isn't actively synced.

I recommend ensuring that the file is viewable in Explorer directly, and that it has a green tick icon to confirm that it has been synced.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

diplomaBSSH
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your help with this.

I'll have to write it off to experience and make sure I have a back up copy from now on - I used to!

Think your suggestion of the cached copy sounds right and that it didn't sync properly

Thanks for your time

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

diplomaBSSH Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?