cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost media file - I still have the old Dropbox link and my account. How can I recover this file?

Lost media file - I still have the old Dropbox link and my account. How can I recover this file?

Explorer | Level 3

Very simple, I’ve lost a recording of my grandparents. One has already passed. I still have the old active Dropbox link. How do I recover this? I still have my account as well.

5 Replies 5

Re: Lost media file

Dropboxer

I'm very sorry to hear about that @Pda5005, I'd be happy to help out with this!

First of all, since you mentioned still having the old link, are you able to view the file from the link?

If not, are you getting any specific errors?

Also, was this created from your account that you still have? If so, are you not able to locate the file in your Dropbox account at all?

Let me know and we'll take it from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
I am unable to view the link, it say file not found but I know I haven’t deleted it. It was created from an account I still have access to. I am unable to locate the file from my account. I only have the file link.

Thank you for the help, it’s really important to my family.

Dropboxer

If you do a search in your account for the file name, are you able to locate anything that way @Pda5005?

If not, please take a look at the events page here and see if there are any actions related to this file.

Also, when was the last time that you viewed the file within your account (or from the link)?

Keep me posted with your findings!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
It’s been about 3 years since I’ve used the account. I can’t find anything. Can I get a support email or someone that has access within the company. I 100% can’t access it.

Dropboxer

If the file that this shared link points to has been deleted from the account in question and you're not able to restore it from the events page or the deleted files page as well, I'm afraid there's nothing we can do to help even from our end in this case @Pda5005

I wish I had a better answer. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?