cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Lost multiple files and cannot restore them

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hello.

I have come across a very concerning issue which I have no answer for.

I was going through my folders and noticed many files that were missing. I have a basic account.
In a PANIC, I searched and found them in the "Events" folder but because for some unknown reason i cannot restore them.

I would have NEVER intentionally deleted them as they were important documents pertaining our work.
The only change i have done is upgrade a shared computor from XP to Windows 7.

It shows a deletion date of 31 days from today.. Really? so now hundreds of files are lost because I noticed them 1 day past the 30 day limit?
Is there ANY way of restoring these files?

14 Replies 14
Highlighted

Re: Lost multiple files and cannot restore them

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

The 30 day limit has no exceptions, the files are permanently deleted.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Well then maybe I had better move the remaining files to another service as they were not intentionally deleted and obviously not protected. It is a shame that I wasn't even notified or aware of these files being deleted.

Highlighted

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

Bye then.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

And if they are not attainable then why are they still listed?

Highlighted

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

And if they are not attainable then why are they still listed?

Events are not files. Events are events. Do not confuse the two.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

I assume that as they were important work documents you have backups and could restore from those?

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Oh. Ok. I guess a more disciplined action is required to protect important files. Thank you for all your help and I guess the moral of this story is, " You get what you pay for".

It would be more helpful if the events didn't display unattainable files as this is misleading and very discouraging.

Highlighted

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

It would be more helpful if the events didn't display unattainable files as this is misleading and very discouraging.

The events feed is a running commentary on what is going on within your Dropbox, its not solely intended for the recovery of deleted files, so there is legitimate reason for "unattainable" files to be displayed there.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I would think that an event that was irreversible would be unfairly displayed if the files were unattainable. Just a thought.. Maybe that would justify the non applicable files. If we cannot recover, they should not be visible. Just an opinion that could be a suggestion...

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?