cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my account and all my files!

Lost my account and all my files!

New member | Level 2

Yesterday I lost both my account and all of my files, and I hope someone can help me restore it! 

I was I team member of a business dropbox-account. When I confirmed to be a team member a long time ago, my private dropbox seemed to merge in with the professional, and became a private folder in my work-dropbox. 

When I was removed as a team member yesterday, my private account also have seemed to be removed, toghether with all my files. 

Does anyone know hos this happened, and how I can fix it? I'm pretty deseprate right now, as all of my pictures, files etc from 2010 are gone :disappointed face: 

2 Replies 2

Re: Lost my account and all my files!

New member | Level 2

That's very unfortunate to hear and I'm sorry that you've lost all your data. As tragic as this is, I personally think it's hard to get access to your old account. Try to contact the support, but in my opinion they gonna tell you that it's impossible to regain access to your account. Wish you luck though!!!

Re: Lost my account and all my files!

Super User II

@IdaAR wrote:

I was I team member of a business dropbox-account. ... When I was removed as a team member yesterday, my private account also have seemed to be removed, toghether with all my files.

This is normal when being removed from a team. When you joined the team you did indeed merge your account into the Business account. At that moment, the account was no longer yours and now belonged to the business. When removed from a business team, the acccount and all files within it are deleted.

You'll need to contact the team admin of the Business account and ask them to first restore the account, and then convert the account back to an individual account. You need to do this quickly as the team admin only has seven days to restore the account before it's gone forever. This is the only way to have the account restored. Dropbox will not be able to do it, and the team admin won't be able to do it beyond seven days after the removal took place.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?