cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my desktop files...

Lost my desktop files...

emiliedfn
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, 

I used Dropbox a while ago but stopped because I didn't feel the need to use it anymore. So I uninstalled the app.

Last week, I did some cleaning on my mac, and erased a folder names "dropbox" but which was empty.

The morning after, I opened my computer to see that all my desktop files had disappeared. Nothing in my bin or dropbox's bin. I went to see Apple for hours and we could not find the problem on the core computer. I think it's from the cleaning I did. For some reason, the original folder "desktop" was on Dropbox (?) and I lost all my files by deleting this mysterious folder.

How is this possible? When I had no link whatsoever with Dropbox anymore? Is there any way to recover my files? Did it happen to somebody else?

I have a very negative opinion on Dropbox now...

1 Reply 1

Re: Lost my desktop files...

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @emiliedfn, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application, meaning that the desktop folder, and possibly others, would have been moved to the Dropbox folder, which were then deleted when you deleted that folder. 

As you've uninstalled the desktop app, if there are any deleted files, try recovering them from the Dropbox site directly. It might also be possible to recover the files from the local machine from the recycle bin, or using a third party app or service to do so.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?