cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low res photos from dropbox app to iphone.

Low res photos from dropbox app to iphone.

Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to download photos from the ios dropbox app to my iPhone. Up until about a month ago, this worked fine, but now it saves in a much low resolution. The photo looks fine within the app, but once downloaded (either by a long press on the image or by the top right export option), and then viewed in the ios photos app it is a much lower resolution.

A workaround is to log in to dropbox.com in Safari on the iPhone and download it from there. This works fine but is much slower, and shouldn't be needed. As I said, the app method worked fine until recently.

Any ideas?

8 Replies 8

Re: Low res photos from dropbox app to iphone.

Dropboxer

Hey there @Marcusm1; welcome aboard!

Could you please let me know if this happens for all the photos in your account or just some? 

While we're at it, can you clarify the format of those files and if you've tried clearing the app's cache to see if it improves matters?

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

As far as I know, this is happening with all photos from dropbox. They are Jpegs.

However, I have just tried reuploading one of the photos back from my iPhone to dropbox, and when viewed on my PC it is the correct full resolution. They just seems to be displayed in low resolution on the iphone photo app. So I don't think it's a problem with Dropbox, just with files from dropbox. Bizarrely, attaching to an email, sends them correctly, but sending via whatsapp,  sends a low res version!

I have tried downloading using the Safari browser and dropbox.com, and that works perfectly. It is just photos downloaded via the dropbox app.

Dropboxer

If you're attaching the files directly in your email, it makes sense, Marcus. 

When you send files via Whatsapp, on the other hand, a shared link to the file is actually sent so the preview of the file there could be a transcoded version of the file itself. 

The original content at its full resolution should be visible when the file from the shared link is downloaded and opened locally on the receiver's device(s). 

Let me know if I'm missing something here. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Ok, I'll try and clarify what I have found.

I am a photographer. I am trying to copy photos to my phone to send to clients for approval via whatsapp. (As it is only for approval, any mild compression from whatsapp doesn't matter). I have been doing this for several years without a hitch. Recently (Possibly around the release date of ios 14 - Sept 2020) Clients have complained that the images are low res. My workaround has been to use dropbox.com on my phone browser to download them one by one, in full res. A slow process.

I copy an image to a dropbox folder on my pc, to transfer to my iPhone.

On my iPhone, if I use the dropbox app, and copy the image to the Photos app, it then views in the photo app as low res.

On my iPhone, if I use dropbox.com from the Safari browser, and copy the image to the photos app, it then views as high res.

(I can swipe between the downloaded copies in the Photo app and see a big difference.)

If I send these copies via Whatsapp (by picking them from my phone photos), the high res stays high, and the low res stays low.

If I send these copies via Email from my phone (again, by picking them from my phone photos), they both arrive high res.

If I send these copies via the dropbox app from my phone back to a different dropbox folder on my pc (again, by picking them from my phone photos), they both arrive high res.

So, it seems saving from the dropbox app on my phone IS saving the full-res version, but for some reason, it is only viewable on my phone Photo and Whatsapp apps (possibly other apps too) as low res.

Explorer | Level 3

Any ideas?

Dropboxer

It does sound rather strange indeed @Marcusm1, I wasn't able to replicate the same behaviour of saving the file locally and it being a different resolution.

Just to have some more info on your current set up, can you let me know which version of the Dropbox app you have installed on your phone?

Also, which iOS version is your device running?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Still testing, I have now found I can get this problem purely by saving a photo from the email app to the photo app on my iPhone. So, it has nothing to do with dropbox and presumably is a problem with my iPhone, the ios, or the photo app. Anyway, I'll contact Apple to resolve it. Thank you for your time.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the update!

Please feel free to give me another nudge here if you have any news after speaking with Apple, or just to let us know if the issue was resolved.

Wishing you a great rest of your week!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?