cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: MP4 files won't play. ".mp4 files are supported but something went wrong."

MP4 files won't play. ".mp4 files are supported but something went wrong."

NoMoreGrid
New member | Level 2

So I've been uploading videos to dropbox and suddenly dropbox just stopped allowing me to view the videos on the site. My other videos play fine but the ones I upload now just won't play. Anyone know the cause for this? 097afea73faf70ef27480fe6acb23886.png

46 Replies 46

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for letting me know, @Robin130

Since the file plays normally on another browser, I'd recommend carrying out a few browser-specific troubleshooting steps, such as ensuring that your browser is up to date and not running any third party plugins or extensions. 

I understand that this may not be the ideal reply you were looking for but let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions. :slight_smile:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Robin130
Explorer | Level 3

After I disable ALL add-ons I get a message that it wants me to install Adobe Flash Player when I try to play the .mp4 again. I am running around in circles.

Robin130
Explorer | Level 3

Browser automatically updates.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, @Robin130

Out of curiosity, did you install/run Flash Player? Did you see a change in behavior by any chance? 

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Anjaly
New member | Level 2

I am also facing the same issue.I tried the four steps steps but still I am getting the same error.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Anjaly, thanks for nudging us here and sorry to hear that you're also having trouble previewing your .mp4 files.

Since you've already troubleshooted a bit - awesome work by the way - I've followed up with a ticket so that we can have a look into this. 

Please check your inbox for my message and we'll take it from there. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

jenny14
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem ... as this seems to be a known problem and has been affecting people for years, why is it not being sorted out? 

I've been sending video files via Dropbox for 7 years, then today, out of the blue, everything I send to any customer fails with this error!  Every customer has their own IT stuff, so this is affecting every browser, not just my end but everywhere, so no point whatsoever in trying to troubleshoot this end.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi @jenny14, thanks for nudging us on this thread and I'm sorry to hear that you've recently been having this issue as well. 

Although a lot of users have reported the same behavior, it may require account-specific info to be able to troubleshoot efficiently for each case. 

For this reason, if you'd like us to have a better look into this with you, you can contact our Support team, or I can send you a ticket if you prefer. 

Let me know how you'd like to proceed and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks again!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Netnet22
New member | Level 2
Hi, I'm having the same problem and have tried all the steps. I even installed firefox and tried it on there. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Netnet22, thanks for reaching out to us on this thread. 

Since you mention that you've checked all the steps outlined on this thread - awesome work by the way! - could you also let me know if the file previews normally when you download and open it locally on your device?

Keep me posted - thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?