cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I keep getting this message, "mp4 files are supported but something went wrong."

MP4 files won't play. ".mp4 files are supported but something went wrong."

NoMoreGrid
New member | Level 2

So I've been uploading videos to dropbox and suddenly dropbox just stopped allowing me to view the videos on the site. My other videos play fine but the ones I upload now just won't play. Anyone know the cause for this? 097afea73faf70ef27480fe6acb23886.png

46 Replies 46

Mulherin
New member | Level 2

Same problem: can't view mp4s online. Which means my friends can't see my videos. Solutions?

Teacher2
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I too am having this issue. We've been using dropbox to share video tutorials with our students as other tools have size limits that are too small. Most of our videos are 5-15 minutes long and have been working flawlessly over the previous 2 weeks. Today, however, students have been unable to watch the videos. The video file works fine and I've tried reuploading it to get a new link.

Our current work around is for students to download the video and then play it but I'd really like to avoid having to do this for every video. We do a lot of the video recording on iPads so they are automatically .mp4 and converting them to another format would be another hassle i'd like to avoid so I'm hoping there's some other solution to this problem so links to the video work in the browser.

I'm not sure why it's stopped working as nothing has changed in the way we've done things.

jpcypert
New member | Level 2

Same issue. Started this week after a few years of using Dropbox. Have tried re exporting the video several times and am still receiving the same .mp4 playback woes as many have stated. I'm looking like a real flopper to my client currently.

JP2E
Explorer | Level 3

Just like that today all my .mp4 files are working fine. Hope its the same with everyone else.

Brent R.1
Explorer | Level 4

Yep,  my one mp4 that previously threw up the ".mp4 files are supported but something went wrong." error now plays to completion.  However, the video quality is really low. Like about hald the resolution of the same video when played with quicktime player and with a lot of what look like jpeg artifacts when the compression is too high.

So progress but not the full solution.

PDFFILESSUPPORT
Explorer | Level 3

Just checking back....

Dropbox support, have you rectified the problem? I haven't heard back from DropBox Support in a few days.

The "mp4 player....."  messages continues on my end.

Any thoughts?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey everyone, thanks for your patience on the matter. 

This should be resolved now. If you're still having any trouble with it though, don't hesitate to let us know and we'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. 

Thanks again!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?