cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP4 files won't play. ".mp4 files are supported but something went wrong."

MP4 files won't play. ".mp4 files are supported but something went wrong."

NoMoreGrid
New member | Level 2

So I've been uploading videos to dropbox and suddenly dropbox just stopped allowing me to view the videos on the site. My other videos play fine but the ones I upload now just won't play. Anyone know the cause for this? 097afea73faf70ef27480fe6acb23886.png

46 Replies 46

PDFFILESSUPPORT
Explorer | Level 3

This message keeps popping up on my chromebook, "mp4 files are supported but something went wrong." Then when I try to download, I get an error message.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @PDFFILESSUPPORT, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

I moved your post to this thread where other users have expressed a similar behavior. 

Just to make sure that I have a better understanding of your concern, could you please let me know:

• What error message do you get when you try to download the files? Could you send me a screenshot of it?
  • Do you see this preview error message with all .mp4 files or specific ones?
  • Have you tried previewing or downloading the files that have this issue from another browser?

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

PDFFILESSUPPORT
Explorer | Level 3

Here is a screenshot:

DropBoxIssue.png

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot, @PDFFILESSUPPORT!

Could you also let me know the error message that comes up when you try to download it? 

Could you also confirm if you've tried previewing the file from another browser and if this happens to all .mp4 files?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

PDFFILESSUPPORT
Explorer | Level 3

DropBoxIssue2.png

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the swift reply, @PDFFILESSUPPORT

Just for troubleshooting purposes, could you try clearing your cache and making sure that you're not running any third party browser extensions or plugins?

Also, could you confirm if these files that you're having trouble with are personal that you uploaded, or files in a shared folder that was shared with you?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

PDFFILESSUPPORT
Explorer | Level 3

The browsing history is cleared.

The 3rd party extensions on Chrome being run are Google Docs offline 1.10.0, Google Meet Grid, Google Slides 0.10, Docs 0.10, Sheets 1.2. Also, it is on developer mode.

PDFFILESSUPPORT
Explorer | Level 3

Also, when I went to download settings, in Google Chrome, this are the cookies attached to Drop Box.

DropBoxCookies.png

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional info, @PDFFILESSUPPORT

Were these files originally uploaded by you or were they shared with you via a shared folder?

Also, are you able to preview the videos when you download them locally? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

PDFFILESSUPPORT
Explorer | Level 3

A link was provided, via email, to direct me to the document. The link navigates me to try to open the items, in Dropbox, but I continue to get the message.

Also, anytime I tried to view documents from the provider, via their website, I continue to get the same message. The provider's name is Emergent Tree, if that helps.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    PDFFILESSUPPORT Explorer | Level 3
    Brent R.1 Explorer | Level 4
    JP2E Explorer | Level 3
    jpcypert New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?