cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Mac App - Can't see files/folders in app, but can see in browser

Mac App - Can't see files/folders in app, but can see in browser

lloydchrein
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I have the Mac dropbox app. I want to view files in the app without having them stored on my hard drive - but when I go into the app I don't see the files. However, I can see them when logged into Dropbox on the browser. 

Does the app only display files/folders that are stored locally, and not show the online only files? Or is there a setting I'm missing to allow the app to display/access the online files?

13 Replies 13

lloydchrein
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ah, I get it now - the link was very helpful, thank you. I also found the setting to show files as zero bytes on the Mac - which was part of the problem - I saw the large file storage numbers and thought the space was being used on my HD. All good - thank you!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @lloydchrein

Happy to hear I managed to shed some light on this!

Give me another shout if something comes up!

Have a lovely weekend ahead!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

meemeemux
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

are the files showing up in finder? if not wait for dropbox to finish syncing, if you still can not see all your files, try deleting the cash, reinstalling dropbox and then sign back in again, if you don't feel right doing that I understand.

Basic user
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It was nice an clean to use in the past.  Why make it so complicated?  I just have a basic plan as I only use it to share files between my own devices.  I don't have a professional account nor do I need or want one.  I don't share files or folders with anyone nor do I need to.  I don't want it to sync anything in my desktops hard drive.  Why do I need to log into my account from a browser to see all the files?

I can't get files that show up on the Dropbox in the Finder in one computer and not on the next?  I use to do this in the past without some selective sync and it went by very smoothly.  Right now I have an X attached to the icon on my toolbar so I can't right click it to do so.  I want to do it with files and not folders.  Why is everything going towards professional users?  Why is it to those that want to backup files from their desktop?

Need more support?