cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac - Cannot turn off Dropbox Computer Backup feature

Mac - Cannot turn off Dropbox Computer Backup feature

JoeSap
Explorer | Level 3

On a new M1 iMac running macOS Big Sur 11.5.2, the home folder has what look like aliases (symlinks?) in place of the Desktop and Downloads folders. These link to corresponding folders inside the Dropbox folder (inside the My Mac folder). This seems to be the way the Computer Backup feature is supposed to work. We want to turn off this feature. I know we're supposed to be able to turn it off using the steps in this article:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/computer-backup

However, the option to "Manage backup" isn't available in Dropbox preferences. Instead, we see "Set up" – indicating that the feature is not turned on (from the perspective of the Dropbox app).

I believe I should be able to simply replace the aliases in the home folder for Desktop and Downloads with the actual Desktop and Downloads folders from inside Dropbox, but the aliases in the home folder are locked.

What is the correct way to turn off this feature when Dropbox doesn't have the "Manage backup" button available?

4 Replies 4

Re: Mac - Cannot turn off Dropbox Computer Backup feature

Enomy
New member | Level 2

Same problem here, but on Windows instead of Mac. This is so annoying T_T

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @JoeSap, thanks for joining the Community!

Since it sounds like the computer backup feature isn't enabled, then the folders shouldn't be syncing to Dropbox. 

Do the folders have green ticks on them? Are you able to manually move them out of the Dropbox folder to their default locations?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JoeSap
Explorer | Level 3

Well, that's partially correct – the feature isn't enabled from the perspective of Dropbox. But the feature is configured in the Finder. In the home folder, the Desktop and Downloads folders are not there. Instead, there are aliases or symlinks pointing to the corresponding folders in Dropbox as mentioned.

This appears to be a bug in Dropbox – the state of Dropbox preferences is out of sync with the reality of the configuration. I don't know how it got into that state. So how can I fix it? I can't drag the Desktop and Downloads folders back into the home folder as the existing aliases are conflicting.

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the details, I'd recommend contacting the support team directly for further assistance on this matter for them to investigate.

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    JoeSap Explorer | Level 3
    Enomy New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?