cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Mac Photos Not Syncing

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I've seen some older posts abbout Mac Photos not syncing in Dropbox, but that was from 2015 and with no resolution.  I am still having trouble syncing my Mac Photos.  Has a solution been developed since 2015.

Thank You.

Brian

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Mac Photos Not Syncing

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi Brian; welcome to our Community!

It seems that the behavior you're referring to is not a problem, but has to do with the way those files are stored in your computer as I guess your Mac's Photos app is storing your photos within libraries or container/package files.

For context, while package files appear to be a single file when viewed on an Apple computer, they actually contain many other files and are represented as a folder on non-Apple computers and most web browsers.

These files could be created from several different applications and can only be opened correctly when you use the application that created them originally and the files inside of them haven't been modified manually.

Spoiler
In other words, Dropbox will sync those files exactly as it receives them, but it is not responsible for opening or editing them and you will still need to have the appropriate software on your computer to do so, just as with files from any other source. If the files inside the container or package were modified manually, you may receive error messages when attempting to open them even if you're using the proper application.

Currently, there are several ways to upload package files to Dropbox while ensuring compatibility on all computers, devices, and browsers:

A. To upload on dropbox.com, you can try one of the following two methods:

• Drag-and-drop the package file to dropbox.com (if your browser supports it)
  • Zip the file, then upload it using the Upload files button

B. To upload on the Dropbox desktop applicationMove or copy the now zipped file into the Dropbox folder on your computer and the Dropbox desktop application will then sync the file in the correct format.

I hope this clear things up a tad and apologies for the long reply @BrianW1

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?