cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac os Big Sur: Deleted/Hacked files

Mac os Big Sur: Deleted/Hacked files

derettens
Explorer | Level 3

Between 10.30 and 12.00 (Greenwich +2 time, last Monday 4th May 2021, coincidentally while I was at the dentist and nowhere any digital devices, 4000+ files were deleted from my Dropbox account - or so Dropbox's email informs me. 

Before I use REWIND for the first time, I would like answers to two issues.

If they were deleted (hacked out) of my online account why do they still show in the desktop app? 

At which point do I change my password - before or after I use Rewind?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Mac os Big Sur: Deleted/Hacked files

Rich
Super User II

@derettens wrote:

4000+ files were deleted from my Dropbox account - or so Dropbox's email informs me.

Did you rename or move any large folders recently? If so, Dropbox sees that as a deletion; a folder of one name was there and is now gone (deletion) and a folder of a different name is now present (addition), even though it's the same folder. In such cases, Dropbox may send the mass deletion email.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Mac os Big Sur: Deleted/Hacked files

Rich
Super User II

@derettens wrote:

4000+ files were deleted from my Dropbox account - or so Dropbox's email informs me.

Did you rename or move any large folders recently? If so, Dropbox sees that as a deletion; a folder of one name was there and is now gone (deletion) and a folder of a different name is now present (addition), even though it's the same folder. In such cases, Dropbox may send the mass deletion email.

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?