Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Mac os high Sierra, smart sync keeps re-downloading my files

Explorer | Level 3

I have a paid version of dropbox that I use to move files between my pc and my macbook. My macbook has very little storage space so I like to have files I'm not using set to online only so they don't take up space but I can still see where they are. The problem is everytime I use after effects or cinema 4d and choose a save path or go to file open, those applications bring up their own gui for me to choose a file directory. When this happens, smart sync thinks those applications are trying to access every potentially visible file, and it begins re-downloading all the folders and files I had previously set to online-only. This is really annoying. I don't want it to do that. I only want it to begin downloading files as local if I directly tell it to. How can I fix this.

Thanks,

Alec

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Mac os high Sierra, smart sync keeps re-downloading my files

Super User II
Super User II

@Pterodactyl wrote:

When this happens, smart sync thinks those applications are trying to access every potentially visible file, and it begins re-downloading all the folders and files I had previously set to online-only.

It doesn't think they are accessing every file; they ARE accessing every file, likely to load thumbnails or other metadata for the file.

Any process that attempts to access a file marked as Online-only will cause that file to be downloaded and marked as Local again. This is how Smart Sync works.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Is there a way to get smart sync to ignore certain applications attempting to read online-only files? like an application blacklist or something?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

No, nothing like that exists.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Pterodactyl, as @Rich said, it isn’t possible to prevent Smart Sync from downloading files if the apps are requesting data from them.

However, to prevent this in the future, you could try saving the file to the default location, and then moving it afterwards in Finder (not After Effects) to the correct location.

You can also open the files directly from Finder, so only that file is downloaded from the site and not all of them.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that is not going to solve it for me. I think I may just go back to slective sync. (I hope they're not planning to do away with it.)

I haven't tried using smart sync on my windows desktop. It still uses selective sync (because it's out of date and apparently needs a reinstall in order to update and I don't really want to do that.) can anyone confirm? Do in app explorer windows cause the same behavior on windows where dropbox starts resyncing every single file?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Selective sync should help you to free up the space at least.

Generally, whenever you are inside an app and navigate to an online-only folder, this would trigger the download for all files within, regardless of the app used.

Only viewing the Explorer/Finder window directly prevents this method of downloading files automatically.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?