cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Make the Dropbox folder the permanent folder for syncing Dropbox in linux.

Make the Dropbox folder the permanent folder for syncing Dropbox in linux.

user110
Explorer | Level 4

please make the dropbox folder which gets created after the installation of dropbox the permanent folder for syncing dropbox in Linux OS.

10 Replies 10

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @user110, thanks for contacting us!

Could you clarify what you're referring to in this instance? 

When you install the Dropbox desktop application, the Dropbox folder is the folder used when syncing files.

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

user110
Explorer | Level 4

I mean that the default dropbox folder cannot be changed.

Jay
Dropboxer
Okay, so you want to request for the Dropbox app to be able to change the location for the Dropbox folder?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

user110
Explorer | Level 4

I mean to say that dropbox should not be able to change the default dropbox folder like in windows and mac

Jay
Dropboxer
So, you want the opposite of what I said, you want the Dropbox folder to be located in a certain place, regardless of what Linux distro you have installed, and you don't want any options to change the folder?

Can I ask why you believe this would be useful for your workflow? If this has been experienced by you, please let me know more details.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

user110
Explorer | Level 4

yes.

user110
Explorer | Level 4

to make it easy to find files and folders in one place and differentiate similar files outside the dropbox folder and avoid confusion and to make it work like an original cloud storage application similar to windows and mac.

Jay
Dropboxer
I'm not sure of what you're asking exactly, or what confusion you're trying to avoid. The Dropbox folder is the only folder that syncs to the Dropbox site, so any files outside of the folder will not sync to the site.

Do you mean you don't want the Dropbox folder to appear in the default user or home section, and instead to be a general location on your device?

What is the main difference you're experiencing with the Windows and Mac devices, since they seem to work how you're expecting them to?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

user110
Explorer | Level 4

No. What I meant was remove the feature "Quit Dropbox" and remove the feature "Choose where your Dropbox is located on this PC." in the sync option at preferences. Also, please read and reply to my other posts in https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1465168 about my other requests.

Need more support?