cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malicious comments affecting a third party

Malicious comments affecting a third party

captbirdseye
Helpful | Level 6
I am somewhat puzzled as to how to proceed here:

On Saturday morning (1 May), I received electronic mail to the effect that someone 
had started making 'comments' on my Dropbox archive:

> Dropbox <no-reply@dropbox.com>
> Wed 28/04/2021 16:20
> calogero salomon added 1 new comment on <name of item deleted by me>
> calogero salomon April 28
>,some books are expensive, , 42 £ for pdf, to much, is outrageous!
>,is outrageous! the prieces for some pdf, to much

The deletion by me was to avoid a third person being identified. That third person
has no connection with discussions between me and the person making the comment.

The effect of such a post is to maliciously traduce a third party.

When I signed in to the archive, the comment had been deleted, but not by me, so
presumably by Dropbox themselves? The comment was directed not at me, but at
an equipment supplier mentioned in one of my Dropbox documents, so the person
making the comment presumably wishes to make personal attacks not only on myself,
but people who are merely mentioned in my Dropbox archive. 

How on earth do I deal with this sort of lunatic? I am baffled as to how to proceed.

Thank you for any advice...
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Malicious comments affecting a third party

captbirdseye
Helpful | Level 6

> Thanks for updating me on this, Roger.
> Can you tell me if this person gained access to the file through a shared link?
> If so, there's no way to block them, but what you could do is delete the link from
> this page. This will stop them from accessing the file and commenting.
> And then you create a new link that you'll share only with the people that need to access it.
> Let me know how that goes!

Thank you for that reply, which is pretty much what I expected. For me, Dropbox is a facility
for sharing files with like-minded people, and there is (or should be) no need to take
precautions against sad lunatics like Calogero Salomon.

Background: This archive shares Shogi (Japanese Chess) material with the non-Japanese Shogi
community. In order to do, so in a 'sensible' way, it has to be completely accessible to anyone who
can view the files. This is done by (universally) sharing links. To restrict access in any way, more or

less invalidates the 'usefulness'of the archive.

Salomon wrote a very bad book about Shogi, and it got a very bad review from me. This is
Saloman's way of taking revenge. Unfortunately, he is so stupid that he has been trying to
malign a completely innocent third party.

Very, very sad.

Changing links, etc. is far too much trouble, and will only inconvenience the Shogi community
at large. I can cope with this sort of thing by simply disabling comments for any file for which
Salomon attempts to post comments.

A minor irritant, but no big deal - I just wondered if there was any way of disallowing access
for specified persons.

I appreciate your spending time on what is probably not a typical Dropbox  query! Thank you!

There are some real sad b******s out there...

Roger Hare

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropboxer

Hey @captbirdseye and happy Monday!

Would you mind clarifying a couple of things for me?

Is this all referring to comments in a file that is currently saved to your Dropbox account?

Do you know the person that made these comments and how did they gain access to this file? Did you share it with them?

Let me know!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

captbirdseye
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you for your response.

Here is a screenshot of the email message I received:

calogerosalomon.jpgA c2e that makes it clearer.

I hope that makes it clearer.

Salomon is attempting to add a comment to the 'log' associated with the file in question, which is

simply a supplier's price list which I make available on my Dropbox archive.

The file itself is not affected.

I have no connection with that supplier's business, but I am concerned that this man Salomon is

attempting to use my Dropbox archive to make damaging comments about this supplier.

Salomon has a history of attacking people with whom he disagrees. I have been a victim of his

attacks (in another place on the internet).

The comment did not appear on my Dropbox space, so I assume that Salomon was unable to

'make it stick'.

Still concerning though - I wondered if there was any way to block this man's access to my

Dropbox space?

Thank you for your time.

Roger Hare.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for updating me on this, Roger. 

Can you tell me if this person gained access to the file through a shared link? 

If so, there's no way to block them, but what you could do is delete the link from this page. This will stop them from accessing the file and commenting. 

And then you create a new link that you'll share only with the people that need to access it.

Let me know how that goes!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

captbirdseye
Helpful | Level 6

> Thanks for updating me on this, Roger.
> Can you tell me if this person gained access to the file through a shared link?
> If so, there's no way to block them, but what you could do is delete the link from
> this page. This will stop them from accessing the file and commenting.
> And then you create a new link that you'll share only with the people that need to access it.
> Let me know how that goes!

Thank you for that reply, which is pretty much what I expected. For me, Dropbox is a facility
for sharing files with like-minded people, and there is (or should be) no need to take
precautions against sad lunatics like Calogero Salomon.

Background: This archive shares Shogi (Japanese Chess) material with the non-Japanese Shogi
community. In order to do, so in a 'sensible' way, it has to be completely accessible to anyone who
can view the files. This is done by (universally) sharing links. To restrict access in any way, more or

less invalidates the 'usefulness'of the archive.

Salomon wrote a very bad book about Shogi, and it got a very bad review from me. This is
Saloman's way of taking revenge. Unfortunately, he is so stupid that he has been trying to
malign a completely innocent third party.

Very, very sad.

Changing links, etc. is far too much trouble, and will only inconvenience the Shogi community
at large. I can cope with this sort of thing by simply disabling comments for any file for which
Salomon attempts to post comments.

A minor irritant, but no big deal - I just wondered if there was any way of disallowing access
for specified persons.

I appreciate your spending time on what is probably not a typical Dropbox  query! Thank you!

There are some real sad b******s out there...

Roger Hare

View solution in original post

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

captbirdseye Helpful | Level 6
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?