cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Manual' PC Folders Back-up 'Only' Please (Question??)

Highlighted

'Manual' PC Folders Back-up 'Only' Please (Question??)

Explorer | Level 4

Hi 

Apologies if this is a really dumb post (inexperienced User)

I want to ''manually'' back-up files and folders from my PC to Dropbox, but NEVER want Dropbox to make a Back-up except when I 'manually' initiate it.

I therefore need to ensure Dropbox NEVER  'automatically' backs-up / syncs  'anything at all' from my PC (except when I tell it to).

Where are the Settings to facilitate this, and what Setting Options should I select please.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: 'Manual' PC Folders Back-up 'Only' Please (Question??)

Super User

I believe if you simply exit dropbox in tray (or kill the process in task manager), it will start again next time the PC is turned on. I would go to Preferences-Settings-General and uncheck "start on system startup" option first.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Super User

Hello,

The easiest way of achieving this in my opinion would be not to install Dropbox on the PC at all, instead just (when needed) drag and drop files/folders you wish to back-up in the browser.

If it would be an option for you, you could allow syncing of one folder only using Selective sync (Settings-Preferences-Sync-Selective sync). You can have however many folders in your dropbox available through the browser, but if you uncheck all but one of them in the selective sync menu, only that one will be available at your PC and automatically syncing. When you wish to back up a file/folder, you can place it in that folder and let Dropbox do the rest.

I must say, using Dropbox in this way significantly limits its functionality, I hope someone else has other, better suggestions.

Cheers

Highlighted

Super User II

In addition to the comment made by @groundhog, keep in mind that Dropbox is not intended to be used as a backup solution. It's a file synchronization service, meant to keep anything you place in the Dropbox folder on your computer in-sync with your account online and any other linked devices, including deletiongs. Yes, it has some backup-like functionality, but it is not a backup service.

If backups are your only use for Dropbox, there are far better options that you should be using instead. Backblaze, Carbonite, etc. There are many backup services available that will do a better job than Dropbox.

The right tool for the job...

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks very much for taking time out to reply. (Appreciated).

Rather than uninstalling, can you just 'Switch-off' Dropbox from the System Tray, then turn it back on when you want to use it??

Your Suggested Option One 
That might work for me, so I'll try it. 
It depends if I can upload Stuff direct via Browser that I've first encrypted with BoxCryptor.
(I only store stuff in Google Drive / Dropbox that I've first encrypted. [I do that just in case someone steals my PC and hacks the Windows Password (very easy apparently) after which that person can get access (via File Manager) to any unencrypted stuff I've uploaded to either GD or DB.]

Your Suggested Option 2 (just having one folder selected to automatically sync):
Because I'm about to implement 2 Step Authorisation (2FA) on GD, DB and my Encryption Program (BoxCryptor) I'm anticipating that the 2FA -  combined with the BoxCryptor Encryption - may result in time-consuming Failure Messages that need to be corrected.

All the best

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for that, will give it some thought.

Rather than uninstalling Dropbox, guess i could Exit Dropbox from the System Tray, then turn it back on when I want to use it, in order to prevent it syncing (on Start-up, at least).

Highlighted

Super User

I believe if you simply exit dropbox in tray (or kill the process in task manager), it will start again next time the PC is turned on. I would go to Preferences-Settings-General and uncheck "start on system startup" option first.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Thanks for that (appreciated)
Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Exiting Dropbox will work, but Dropbox also has a Pause Syncing function. As per the name implies, this pauses the syncing without exiting Dropbox.

It is described here: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/pause-resume

Also, you can set up Dropbox so that it doesn't start automatically when your computer starts. You will then need to open the Dropbox application manually -- when you need it. This is useful if you don't really need it all the time, so it won't use resources on your computer unnecessarily.

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/change-preferences

HTH.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?