cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Manual uploads on iPhone don't work unless app is open

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I've had this really frustrating problem for a long while and can't seem to find a fix. Maybe someone here can help. 

I shoot videos for work on my iPhone 11. I want to occasionally manually upload videos to Dropbox. I DO NOT want to turn on Dropbox's auto-upload of every single image I have on my iPhone. 

When I open the Dropbox app, choose a couple of video files, and start the upload process, it starts to work fine. But if I put the Dropbox app in the background by opening up any other app on my phone, the uploads do not continue. I have to keep the Dropbox app open for these files to finish uploading. It's infuriating. 

I've read elsewhere that Dropbox needs some location change to register for uploads to process. That seems stupid. Nonetheless, I can't even verify if Dropbox has access to Location Services because under Location Services in my iPhone settings, the Dropbox app does not show up in the list of apps! I'm pretty sure I've allowed Dropbox access to location services in the past, but there's no real way to confirm. WTF?

Can anyone advise on what needs to be done here? 

P.S. - I am on the Dropbox Pro plan and have Dropbox app version 176.2.2. I have over 180GB of available space. "Use Cellular Data" is turned on in my Dropbox settings, though I am often on a very fast Fiber wifi connection when attempting uploads. I see no other pertinent settings or options in the app that deal with background uploading. 

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Manual uploads on iPhone don't work unless app is open

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @annoyed_db_user, thanks for posting on the Community!

Manual uploads is different from camera uploads in that, no matter what connection you have, manual uploads will always take place.

Location services are only needed for automatic camera uploads. As you have not enabled the auto-upload option, location services is also disabled.

In the iOS settings, have you enabled background app refresh for the Dropbox app? Is there any kind of battery saving option on iOS enabled which could be closing the Dropbox app before it has completed the upload?

Keep me posted with any updates!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?