cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Many files missing after back-up from pc

Highlighted

Many files missing after back-up from pc

Explorer | Level 4

Hello, 

Last week I wanted to back up my files from PC to dropbox. Within a few minutes I saw that Dropbox had deleted my many folders and the files within them. These files are very important to get back. Has anyone an idea what might happend?

Thanks in advance, 

Lieke

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Many files missing after back-up from pc

Dropboxer

Hey @liekedemol; thanks for joining our Community!

Can you please clarify if you moved or copied those missing files to your Dropbox folder on your computer or if you're referring to the computer backup feature? 

Do these files show up in our website anywhere, namely in your homepage, the deleted files page or even your events page

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there, Lieke. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
I haven't moved files and folders. I have downloaded the Dropbox App on my PC and he asked me to make a backup of my PC to Dropbox. I anserwed "Yes". Now I am missing half of my files.

I can't find them on my homepage, deleted files page and events page.

I am looking forward to your reaction back!
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information, Lieke. 

Can you please let me know if the app has finished syncing? Is it showing 'up to date' within your system tray or is it still syncing? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

"I haven't moved files and folders"

That's what everyone said.. you didn't and indeed haven't.

Dropbox has though. It moved your desktop/docs/downloads into Dropbox and began the sync up.
It then placed in your desktop/docs/downloads shortcuts to these new Dropbox locations.

Hopefully you had less data than your storage in Dropbox allows (else you'll likely loose stuff).
If you're lucky you can go into dropbox desktop/docs/downloads and copy the lot somewhere safe...  and follow my guide to restoring Windows default folder locations and put it back (after removing dropbox) then next time say NO to the backup.

You and I (and everyone else sensible in the world) think of Backup as just that.. a backup.. a COPY of data to the cloud.

However Dropbox believe Backup means Move, and thereby move all your stuff to them.... with a huge (and many people have this) risk of losing your data. Plus at great expense (and profit for them) when you shell out to upgrade your package to store your "DOWNLOADS"! I mean who keeps their downloads in the cloud?

Funny.. the recommendation should be to backup your data before using Dropbox Backup!

Consider this a lesson learned the hard way.... we all feel your pain.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

The app has finished syncing......

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

Then if you see under dropbox your desktop / docs / downloads, copy them quick to something seperate like a USB Drive. Get a copy now..

Then once you're done, you should be able to turn off the backup feature in Dropbox (as you have a copy anyway).. Reset your desktop / docs / download locations (right click the Desktop on the left in explorer view, properties, location, reset) and the same for documents/downloads, then copy your stuff back from the backup.

Once done, and you're happy that the desktop /docs looks right and isn't using the dropbox version, you can likely delete the "copy" that is in Dropbox.   I managed to uninstall Dropbox totally and avoid using it going forward (just using the web version) so I didn't have to worry about any further sync issues.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?