cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Mass deleting files - How do I

Mass deleting files - How do I

MaryBC
Explorer | Level 3

I am over my dropbox limit and I want to 1) delete files and 2) change the way I interact with Dropbox so it doesn't save every download.  How do I select dozens of files at once to delete (I am not going to delete my files one by one!) and how do I change how I set Dropbox up to work on my new computer?

8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi @MaryBC, thanks for using Dropbox and welcome to our Community.

It sounds like you may have enabled the computer backup feature.

If that's so, you can disable it by following these steps (under the "turn off computer backup" banner).

Let me know if this helps, Mary. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Vicker
Super User

Hi, @MaryBC ,

If you want to select multiple items to delete them, you may either try to sync them to your local computer first, then use Windows Explorer and macOS Finder to drag-select them. Note that you may also do a drag-select on the Dropbox website. Here are some screenshots that may help to understand.

screen-2021-11-11-zRJs8PZm@2x.png

screen-2021-11-11-Ihzgv877@2x.png

On the other hand, the configuration to control uploading the "Downloads" folder or not is inside the Dropbox app preferences. The official document below should help.

How to use computer backup

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/computer-backup

Cheers

Vicker

MaryBC
Explorer | Level 3

I went into preferences and to manage backups, I unchecked "downloads" and saved, but it says in red "Couldn't stop backup."  I just have documents checked now and it says 1/6 folders with issues. 

Megan
Dropboxer
Hi @MaryBC, I hope you're doing well!

Can you let me know the syncing status and the version of your Dropbox desktop application? 

Feel free to send us a screenshot of the "couldn't stop backup" message you receive on your end. 

Let me know.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MaryBC
Explorer | Level 3

It says syncing 3,941 files.  DropboxImage.png

Megan
Dropboxer
Hi @MaryBC

Would you mind if I sent you an email so we could have a look at this internally?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

MaryBC
Explorer | Level 3

That's fine.

Megan
Dropboxer
I just sent you an email, @MaryBC

Have a lovely weekend ahead. Enjoy!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?