cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum download and upload speeds

Maximum download and upload speeds

chrismo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm setting up a new computer and syncing my dropbox business account to it. The internet connection is great on fiber optic cable (1500MB/s) but my download speeds on dropbox are about 24MB/sec

What is the maximum anyone else is getting? 

How can I improve this?

35 Replies 35

Bright
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
This is what I do. But the 'overnight sync' took a few days (almost a week). Fortunately the incremental backups for next days were very small so after a few days extra the Dropbox was on par with the backups. However, this really is a not working way and indeed Dropbox DOES cap the uploads, whatever they are saying!

kakao
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have 2 win10 pc using the same dropbox account, one in my office, the other at home. Both are running on Gigabit Internet connection. The pc in the office is able to get 80~100MB/s download speed, but the one at home never gets more than 20MB/s. There is nothing wrong with my home pc, connection speed is great with every other thing I do. For example, when I transfer files to the same AWS bucket, both pc can perform similarly at ~80MB/s.

I notice from the 'resource monitor', the office dropbox seems to be able to open more parallel TCP 'connections'...office pc can open 8~9, but home pc only open 5-6.

That's the only difference I spot so far, but I have no idea how dropbox determines these hidden settings, and how to change that. If anyone knows, please share your idea. Thanks.

Marjoline V.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Just installed a new computer. Boy, getting Dropbox on is taking days!  Speed given by Dropbox itself is around 1,800 KB/sec. On all files, large and small. Hard to believe, but true!

trashcaneron
New member | Level 2

For what it's worth: on my 10G symmetrical fiber line where my speed tests at speedtest.net come in at about 8000 Mbps / Megabits per second (1000 MBps / MegaBytes per second), my Dropbox download speed hovers around 80 MBps and sometimes goes as high as 150 MBps. This is using less than 10% of my total bandwidth. I do not have a bandwidth cap in my settings. Wondering how I can turn it up!?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @trashcaneron, is it possible that you have any proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router settings that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

wirasandi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, Sorry to chime in on a 5 years old thread.

I had the same problem (I found this thread while trying to find the solution), and somehow managed to solve it by using VPN.
If I don't use VPN, my DL speed were 5-7MBps.

I'm on a 250mbps FO, so that DL speed doesn't comes anywhere near my ISP service.
Turned on my VPN and instantly my DL speed goes to 29-30MBps.

Maybe VPN will be a solution to anyone experincing the same problem as me.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

wirasandi New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    trashcaneron New member | Level 2
    Marjoline V. Explorer | Level 4
    kakao Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?