cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Members given folder access can create shared links to those folders

Members given folder access can create shared links to those folders

seto007
Explorer | Level 3

After extensive testing, I was able to finally create a link that allows other people with dropbox accounts to request access to a specified folder on my Dropbox account, which I can then approve their access to view.

However, after they are given viewing access to this folder, if they simply click on the "share" menu of either the folder or the files contained within, this allows them to create a sharable link that they can then send to others or post publicly, allowing anyone with the link they'e now created to view the contents of what should be a folder that's viewable only to those who I, as the owner, have given access to.

I do not want any other invidiual members to have these sorts of permissions. Only I, as the creator of the folder, should be able to create shareable links to these folders and the contents within them, since I do not want people who I have not given access the ability to view the files contained within said folders.

How would I go about disabling these permissions? Is it even possible to disable them?

6 Replies 6

Re: Members given folder access can create shared links to those folders

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hello @seto007, I hope you're having a good day!

I'd suggest changing the following setting for the shared folder, to restrict access via the shared link:
  1. Click the "Share" option for this folder.
  2. Click the gear icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose the "Link for viewing" tab along the top of the window.
  4. For the option "Who has access", change this setting to "only people invited".
  5. Save the changes made.
You can test this out by opening the shared link via an incognito browsing window.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

seto007
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Daphne.

While doing this creates a link that only the people who I have invited can share, it unfortuantely does not prevent other people who have already been invited from creating their own links to the folder, and those links allow for other people to view the folder without having been invited, so no luck.

seto007
Explorer | Level 3

@Daphne wrote:
Hello @seto007, I hope you're having a good day!

I'd suggest changing the following setting for the shared folder, to restrict access via the shared link:
  1. Click the "Share" option for this folder.
  2. Click the gear icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose the "Link for viewing" tab along the top of the window.
  4. For the option "Who has access", change this setting to "only people invited".
  5. Save the changes made.
You can test this out by opening the shared link via an incognito browsing window.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Hey, was just quoting your reply to make sure you saw my earlier response. Wasn't sure if you had gotten a notification for it or if I had to specifically quote your reply for you to get one.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me here @seto007.

While they might be able to create a shared link, only those who have been given access via sharing the folder with their email, will be able to access the folder.

If you'd like to restrict sharing even further, you can prevent other members of the folder sharing with other people from the folder settings.

By following the steps listed above, after opening the Share window, stay on the "Folder settings" tab and change the "Manage access" option to "Only the owner".

With both of these settings applied, only the owner of the folder can invite new people to the folder via their email, and only those who are invited via email can access the folder via a shared link.

In this case, the shared link (whether copied by you or others) doesn't allow viewing access to anyone who hasn't been invited via email to the folder. 

If there is currently a shared link created for the folder, you can even delete this link and create a new one to send out.

You can confirm this link will not give additional access to the folder by opening the shared link via an incognito window, so you're not signed into Dropbox, and you should see an error showing you don't have access.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

seto007
Explorer | Level 3

@Daphne wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me here @seto007.

While they might be able to create a shared link, only those who have been given access via sharing the folder with their email, will be able to access the folder.

If you'd like to restrict sharing even further, you can prevent other members of the folder sharing with other people from the folder settings.

By following the steps listed above, after opening the Share window, stay on the "Folder settings" tab and change the "Manage access" option to "Only the owner".

With both of these settings applied, only the owner of the folder can invite new people to the folder via their email, and only those who are invited via email can access the folder via a shared link.

In this case, the shared link (whether copied by you or others) doesn't allow viewing access to anyone who hasn't been invited via email to the folder. 

If there is currently a shared link created for the folder, you can even delete this link and create a new one to send out.

You can confirm this link will not give additional access to the folder by opening the shared link via an incognito window, so you're not signed into Dropbox, and you should see an error showing you don't have access.

When I click on the sharable link created by a member who has been granted access in an ingonito window without signing in, the link that they have created shows the contents of the folder without having to be neither logged in, nor invited and given access to the folder.

And while I can alter the link that I, as the owner of the folder, have created, I am unable to find any settings that would allow me to delete the links that other members may have generated.

Daphne
Dropboxer
I see, thanks for testing that out @seto007!

There can only be one shared link created for the folder, so the link you use and the other members use would be the same.

Can you try out the steps listed here to delete the current shared link for the folder, so you can create a new one?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?