cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metadata missing in files after file request

Metadata missing in files after file request

Ger_Griffin
Explorer | Level 3

So I did a file request for the first time with a client who uploded 309 files (13.5 gb). The task is to sort by date created and put on the timeline. Apart from the files being renamed , the date created in the file properties of every file is the date it was upoladed to dropbox.

Is there any logical explanation for this ? 

4 Replies 4

Re: Metadata missing in files after file request

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Ger_Griffin, thanks for joining the Community!

As these would be considered new files added to your account, the creation and modification date would be for the moment files are uploaded to your account.

The only method to keep the original file dates would have been via a shared folder and moving the files into the shared folder in the Dropbox folder. The desktop app would then sync these changes and the correct dates.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ger_Griffin
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Jay , thanks for your reply.
I think it's important that people are notified of the consequences of using file requests before they use them. The entire dropbox service would be better off without it as an option if this is what happens the the files when it is used. Thank you for the information though. I now know for next time.
Rgds
Ger

Jay
Dropboxer
This information is already available in this article, about what can affect the modification date of files and how to preserve them.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ger_Griffin
Explorer | Level 3
Again, it's perfectly and painstakingly clear that when you use file requests , the original file created date is wiped. It can be in as many articles as the internet would allow, but if it's not in bold writing on the first page when someone click files request ... It may as well not exist. I hope you get my point. I don't need any more information thank you.
Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?