cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Office Files and SmartSync

Microsoft Office Files and SmartSync

BurnsF
Explorer | Level 3

I only recently started using SmartSync--it's great, but...

I have an entire folder full of powerpoint and excel files that I marked to keep offline.  But next time I wanted to see one, I double clicked on it, it downloaded, but it is apparently corrupted.  At least both Powerpoint and Excel complain that the file is not valid.  I have tried marking the file cloud-only and then remarking it local and waiting for it to download.  No help.

I do note that within the Dropbox app it is ok.  Similarly if I go to the Dropbox web site and download the file it is ok.  The problem is only in my file system.

Has anyone has this problem?  I am running MacOS Big Sur on a new (Apple Silicon) MacBook Air.

Thanks...

10 Replies 10

Re: Microsoft Office Files and SmartSync

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @BurnsF, let's see how I can help with this Smart Sync issue of yours! 

Can you let me know what the syncing status of your app is?

Another thing I would like to ask, is have you tried changing the status from online-only to local, not by double clicking on the file, but by right clicking on it, then choosing local?  

I'll be waiting for the info, and we can take it from there!

Thank you!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

BurnsF
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori,

I had tried the changing the file to local with right-click, but I just did it again (on a different excel file).  I waited for the icon to switch from a cloud to a green check mark and then tried to open it with the same result.  I also checked the syncing status, and the popup said "up to date".  When I clicked on the arrow at the bottom to see the specific file, it had an "Open" button next to it.  When I clicked on open, it went to the dropbox app, which I know from previous attempts would have worked ok.  It seems to be only files in my file system that are not working correctly.

Thanks!

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @BurnsF, thank you for all the extra details! 

Can you send me some screenshots reproducing the issue? (Make sure none of your personal info is shown when you send them over). 

Keep me posted!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

BurnsF
Explorer | Level 3

Lori, I have taken a screenshot of the dropbox folder, the error message from powerpoint (which has a button that says Repair) and the message that I get when I try to repair.  I was unable to put them in this reply---the "Upload" button refused to push.  But there are in a dropbox folder here:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zxdrstkmoiz0gvn/AAA3W9hJzsHoLq8p0NrIoJsDa?dl=0

Thanks!

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @BurnsF, thanks for the additional info! 

Let's try something. Could you also try fixing hardlinks or permissions by following the steps below in the exact order listed?

• Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running
  • Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and then click your profile picture or initials
  • Select 'Preferences'
  • Click on the 'Account' tab
  • Hold down the 'Option/Alt' key
  • Click on the 'Fix Permissions' button (make sure you're still holding down the 'Option/Alt' key)

You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones.

If you're still having trouble with this, repeat the first six steps, but then choose Fix Hardlinks at the seventh step, instead. 

Keep me posted!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

BurnsF
Explorer | Level 3

Ok, I'll do that and let you know.  But in the meantime I had a thought:  As I said above, I am running this on a new MacBook that runs on the new Apple Silicon chip.  I see that Dropbox is built for Intel, so it will be running using Rosetta.  Rosetta has generally worked really well--I have had one only a single app that did not quite work.  But I wonder if there is a subtle problem there.  Do you plan a Dropbox version that is built "Universal" soon?

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @BurnsF, at the moment, we don't have any info that we can share, in regards to this. 

However, out Team always looks for ways to improve our users' experience, and any feedback or additional details are welcome!

As for the issue, take all the time that you need, and when you have any updates for me, let me know!

Cheers!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

BurnsF
Explorer | Level 3

Ok.  I want to try to reproduce the problem using files that I own and have control of.  Then I'll try the above as you asked.

BurnsF
Explorer | Level 3

Ok, Lori, I have tried those exact step and it made no difference.  I think that when you said to repeat it but click "Fix Permissions" at the 7th step, I think you meant to do "Fix Hardlinks", right?  I did both in any case, and neither had any effect.

But I have tried a few more things:

1) The problems I am having are with files that a friend has shared with me--in fact we have a quite large set if files/folders shared with each other over Dropbox.  He has an Intel Mac.

2) I myself have an Intel Mac in my house on the same DropBox.  I first tried opening one of the files from my friend that fails on my ARM Apple and it was ok.  Then I tried copying a different office file into the dropbox from the Intel machine.  It opened ok on the ARM Mac.

3) I copied a file from my ARM Mac into Dropbox and told smartsync to keep it in the cloud.  Then I rebooted the ARM Mac and told it to make that file local.  It opened ok.

So it is very hard to dig down to the problem.  I can't tell how we got into this situation nor why it seems to be these particular files (from my friend) that cause trouble.  It seems clear (to me at least) that there is SOMETHING odd going on with synchronizing, whether it is smartsync or otherwise because I can pull the powerpoint file down from the app (onto the ARM Mac) and it works ok, but if I use the version that Dropbox puts directly into the file system it does not.

Would it help to give you two copies of the file, one from the app download and one from the synchronized file system?

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    BurnsF Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?